Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't I keep a boyfriend for more than a month? Watch

It always seems to start off great.
    We get on amazingly, the chemistry is awesome - everything seems perfect. Then suddenly without warning after a month or so I get dumped.

It's always excuses like "I'm not over my ex" or "I'm not feeling the attraction" or "I'm having second thoughts" - but it's got to the stage now where despite being told over and over again that it's "them and not me", I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with me... It's knocking my confidence a lot questioning why someone doesn't want to be with me.

The excuses just seem ridiculous - why ask a person out if you aren't feeling the attraction etc?
    To me, I just feel like I'm doing something wrong and I have no idea what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you go psycho into the relationship, making them want to get out while they've got the chance?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should be friends with people for a while before going out with them, that way you can see if they get bored with you in a month without having to be dumped

ReputationRep:
    It could be that (if you frequently have boyfriends) people see you as "easy", no disrespect intended, but as a result of this when the guys get what "they want" they end it. Alternatively it could be that you become too clingy or even perhaps that you go for the wrong "type" of guys i.e. those that aren't serious about committing.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're meeting the wrong type of people to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should get to know them for a long while before you consider getting together?
    But from what I see, seems like there is something missing in your relationship during the early phases - or perhaps that person has gone past the honeymoon period. Have you ever considered that you may have done something in all of those relationships? You know sometimes, relationships aren't for everyone and perhaps you need a break before you jump into your next one.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with the poster who said be friends first or get to know someone well and for a while before jumping into a relationship. Ultimately, statistically the chances of really clicking with someone are slim, there are so many people and they're all different and looking for different things. Hence if you want it to last you need to weed out the ones who are compatible with you before committing.

ReputationRep:
    I can completely understand why it would knock your confidence, but I think you just haven't met the right person yet! There's nothing wrong with you and you're probably not doing anything wrong really.

I think the best piece of advice I can give is to try to have an "I'll go with the flow and see how this turns out" attitude towards dating and don't have too many expectations for where the dates might lead to until things have been going on for a while. If things don't turn out right there's probably a good reason for it - you probably just weren't meant to be with that person, which is perfectly fine. It'll work out with someone at some point

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.