Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Squat and Deadlift form check please (video) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Just starting out SS again after a long break away from lifting and wanted to check if my technique is okay. My squats by the looks of it are pretty terrible as I am rounding my back and this could be why I am having lower back pain. Any ideas?

Also deadlifts were terrible as the bar was rolling and I noticed I didn't puff my chest out enough.

I am trying to follow the SS programme by Mark Rippetoe.

Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Deadlift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggieduet)
    Hey guys,

Just starting out SS again after a long break away from lifting and wanted to check if my technique is okay. My squats by the looks of it are pretty terrible as I am rounding my back and this could be why I am having lower back pain. Any ideas?

Also deadlifts were terrible as the bar was rolling and I noticed I didn't puff my chest out enough.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJn87...ature=youtu.be
    Squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeL9N...ature=youtu.be
    Deadlift
    for squat tense your abs and core as much as you can. you're leaning forward way too much

dl is good

ReputationRep:
    I don't like to comment much on these types of videos as I can't offer much constructive fixes, which is what you need. Hopefully Monk and co will reply.

You are leaning forward a lot, and notice your feet are rolling in. It's a very lower back and knee dominant squat. Your hips are probably tight. Try narrowing your stance a bit, you're a bit too wide I think. Push through midfoot/heel/outside of your feet. Try sitting between your legs, opening up your groin more. Lock your knees and let your hips pull you in and out of the bottom.

You should try third world squats (sit there for a few minutes) and paused squats with a light bar. These will improve your mobility.

ReputationRep:
    Ok for your squat form need massive improvement. I assume you're trying to powersquat. Problems I can see:

1) You have way too much forward lean because the weight is on the balls of you feet. You need to emphasise having the weight on your heels and sitting back for a powersquat. If you look at your feet, they aren't stable and planted to the ground, you can actually see the weight shift on your foot.

2) You have a butt wink but without even breaking parallel, again caused by the forward lean and perhaps some flexibility issues.

3) You're depth is terrible and are way above parallel.

4) You're squat is like a half squat half good morning.

5) I would say and some may disagree that your hand position is far too tight, I know in a power squat you should keeps your hands tight but you just look uncomfortable and unnatural, in fact so much so that it looks like your hands are pushing the bar into your body which is pushing your torso down.

6) If you track the bar path on the squat it doesn't take a straight up and down/vertical path keeping the centre of gravity in line with your ankles. The bar path instead goes down and forward over your feet, again due to forward lean and shifting the weight over from your heels to the balls of your feet.

You could correct this by squatting to a box that is below parallel (not box squatting). As you squat down you emphasise keeping the weight on your heels, and sitting back so your gooch touches the box. As soon as your feel the box your drive through your heels pushing your knees out as if your were trying to split the floor. This should correct your forward lean. Also try to focus on keeping your chest upright.

You need to work on flexibility as well.

Here's a vid with some good tips.

There are multiple parts to this video so be sure to watch them all, they are all linked on the widget on the right on the youtube page.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't rate the "so you think you can squat" videos. They're okay but trivialize squatting with all the talk about minor fixes. They're like pop videos. I can't imagine watching that and actually learning to squat.

Honestly? Rippetoes videos are infinitely more useful. Yes he teaches low bar but the mechanics are essentially the same. Candito has great videos too-- very good channel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Personally, I don't rate the "so you think you can squat" videos. They're okay but trivialize squatting with all the talk about minor fixes. They're like pop videos. I can't imagine watching that and actually learning to squat.

Honestly? Rippetoes videos are infinitely more useful. Yes he teaches low bar but the mechanics are essentially the same. Candito has great videos too-- very good channel.
    OP is trying to low bar squat anyway so that would be more productive.

Dave Tate's so you think you can bench is very, very good imo though

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJn87...ature=youtu.be
    Squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeL9N...ature=youtu.be
    Deadlift

As for your deadlift well pretty much the same as your squat, too much forward lean. TBH you don't have much weight on the bar so it's quite hard to give a full critique. Again for this emphasise being on your heels, your arse doesn't need to be low, but you need to focus on engaging your glutes. At the moment it looks like on the first phase of the pull your are just using your lower back to lift the bar, then on the second phase your using your legs. Ideally from the start your should be driving your feet/heels into the ground. Instead of thinking about lifting the bar off of the floor think of pulling on the bar to push your feet into the ground.

Here's a good technique vid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

Well if you can find a better squat to box video then post it. The so you think you can squat if fairly in depth so I thought i'd link them but it's not gospel. I personally don't like any of rippetoes stuff but each there own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    Ok for your squat form need massive improvement. I assume you're trying to powersquat. Problems I can see:

1) You have way too much forward lean because the weight is on the balls of you feet. You need to emphasise having the weight on your heels and sitting back for a powersquat. If you look at your feet, they aren't stable and planted to the ground, you can actually see the weight shift on your foot.

2) You have a butt wink but without even breaking parallel, again caused by the forward lean and perhaps some flexibility issues.

3) You're depth is terrible and are way above parallel.

4) You're squat is like a half squat half good morning.

5) I would say and some may disagree that your hand position is far too tight, I know in a power squat you should keeps your hands tight but you just look uncomfortable and unnatural, in fact so much so that it looks like your hands are pushing the bar into your body which is pushing your torso down.

6) If you track the bar path on the squat it doesn't take a straight up and down/vertical path keeping the centre of gravity in line with your ankles. The bar path instead goes down and forward over your feet, again due to forward lean and shifting the weight over from your heels to the balls of your feet.

You could correct this by squatting to a box that is below parallel (not box squatting). As you squat down you emphasise keeping the weight on your heels, and sitting back so your gooch touches the box. As soon as your feel the box your drive through your heels pushing your knees out as if your were trying to split the floor. This should correct your forward lean. Also try to focus on keeping your chest upright.

You need to work on flexibility as well.

Here's a vid with some good tips.

There are multiple parts to this video so be sure to watch them all, they are all linked on the widget on the right on the youtube page.
    Thanks very much guys for the advice. Very much appreciated.
    With regard to the lean forward maybe I am leaning forward too much, although in the SS book by rippetoe he does say you will lean forward. But I very much agree about your comment on stability, my weight does shift from heel to toes and that's really annoying and something I will correct.
    and yeah the bar doesn't go in a vertical path and I will try in my next session to get these corrected. Also thank you to silent ninja and tehforum for recommending 3rd world squats!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much guys for the advice. Very much appreciated.
    With regard to the lean forward maybe I am leaning forward too much, although in the SS book by rippetoe he does say you will lean forward. But I very much agree about your comment on stability, my weight does shift from heel to toes and that's really annoying and something I will correct.
    and yeah the bar doesn't go in a vertical path and I will try in my next session to get these corrected. Also thank you to silent ninja and tehforum for recommending 3rd world squats!

See this is why I don't like rippetoe's stuff. It's fine if you know what he means but for really new lifters they will take this literally. He doesn't literally mean lean forward, he means unlike an oly squat where your torso will be upright as possible, a in powersquat your ass sits back thus to keeps the weight over your heels your torso will start to bow, but you should not at any point lean forward because it will mess your form and eventually ruin your quadriceps tendons which is something I know from experience. I started on rippetoes SS and spent my first year doing this and had to spend the next year living with tendinosis as well as dumping the bar over my head one one occasion. Not nice.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez you guys take this stuff too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    If you're gonna do something, do it properly and safely-- by no means perfectly, but you want the most out of an exercise. You don't wanna be one of those guys that complains about a knackered knee or shoulder because they were clueless. Doing exercise from a mechanically poor position can lead to permanent injuries. It's just dumb. We go to the gym to be stronger, faster and better, not to injury ourselves and regress. Good on the OP for posting. He wants to improve himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    good luck on your injury goals of 2014

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.