Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OPEN FOR DISCUSSION

HI ALL!

SO BASICLY THIS IS MY SHORT CAREER PLAN:

I AM CURRENTLY IN MY 1ST YEAR OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

I COULD DO 2-YEARS OF COLLEGE AND WORK OFFSHORE AS A JUNIOR ENGINNER AND TRY CLIMB A LADDER TO A SENIOR ENGINEER AND THEN WHAT?

OR

I COULD DO DEGREE IN MEng, THEN I WOULD BE 3RD ENGINEER ON OFFSHORE PLATFORM ++

++ I COULD PROBABLY DO A MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT AFTER COMPLEMENTION OF MY DEGREE BUT WOULD IT HELP ME CLIMB THE LADDER OF CEO?

THE QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE FASTEST WAY TO CLIMB THE LADDER TO THE CEO OF AN OIL COMPANY?

WHETHER I SHOULD GET DEGREE + MBA OR DEGREE AND TRY TO WORK MYSELF TO SENIOR ENGINEERING AND TRY FROM THERE ON...

I HOPE MY SCRIBBLE IS CLEAR ENOUGH

IF SOME 1 COULD HELP ME I WOULD BE GREATFUL

IN PURSUIT OF BECOMING NEXT ROCKEFELLER ...

ReputationRep:
    You'll be at least 40 before you get anywhere near a CEO position, as would everyone else. You don't walk into it after a couple of years after graduating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMantas)
    OPEN FOR DISCUSSION

HI ALL!

SO BASICLY THIS IS MY SHORT CAREER PLAN:

I AM CURRENTLY IN MY 1ST YEAR OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

I COULD DO 2-YEARS OF COLLEGE AND WORK OFFSHORE AS A JUNIOR ENGINNER AND TRY CLIMB A LADDER TO A SENIOR ENGINEER AND THEN WHAT?

OR

I COULD DO DEGREE IN MEng, THEN I WOULD BE 3RD ENGINEER ON OFFSHORE PLATFORM ++

++ I COULD PROBABLY DO A MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT AFTER COMPLEMENTION OF MY DEGREE BUT WOULD IT HELP ME CLIMB THE LADDER OF CEO?

THE QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE FASTEST WAY TO CLIMB THE LADDER TO THE CEO OF AN OIL COMPANY?

WHETHER I SHOULD GET DEGREE + MBA OR DEGREE AND TRY TO WORK MYSELF TO SENIOR ENGINEERING AND TRY FROM THERE ON...

I HOPE MY SCRIBBLE IS CLEAR ENOUGH

IF SOME 1 COULD HELP ME I WOULD BE GREATFUL

IN PURSUIT OF BECOMING NEXT ROCKEFELLER ...
    Bumlick the current CEO until he lets his defences down then kindly push him off an oil rig.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, you're probably better off having a sex change, seducing the CEO, and using your expert fellatio technique to convince him to put you on the board.

Give up the degree and get yourself some kitten heels darling :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Some cool comments there hahah, but maybe some 1 has genuine tips or advice?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Have you even looked to see what qualifications and background the current heads of oil companies have?

ReputationRep:
    I did yes, its mainly MBA'S AND FINANCE DEGREE'S, HOWEVER I AM A BIT SKEPTICAL ABOUT MBA'S BECAUSE OF AMOUNT OF GRADUATE'S WITH THEM ENDING UP WITHOUT WORK...

ReputationRep:
    Walk up and down the Iraq/Iran border with your CV holding a Union Jack.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually chemical engineering degrees which are far more suited for the oil and gas industry. Also, unless you're at a top 10 university worldwide then say bye to your chances of any senior managerial positions let alone CEO.

Give up the dream

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    It's actually chemical engineering degrees which are far more suited for the oil and gas industry. Also, unless you're at a top 10 university worldwide then say bye to your chances of any senior managerial positions let alone CEO.

Give up the dream

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not at all, no; in fact, the amount of available positions in oil & gas that would suit a mechanical engineering graduate vastly outnumber those that would a chemical engineering one.

Your second sentence is also complete nonsense as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Not at all, no; in fact, the amount of available positions in oil & gas that would suit a mechanical engineering graduate vastly outnumber those that would a chemical engineering one.

Your second sentence is also complete nonsense as well.
    As you're dealing with Oil and Gas you will need more ChemEng than MechEng. Have a look at the CEOs of oil companies and look at their university backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMantas)
    I did yes, its mainly MBA'S AND FINANCE DEGREE'S, HOWEVER I AM A BIT SKEPTICAL ABOUT MBA'S BECAUSE OF AMOUNT OF GRADUATE'S WITH THEM ENDING UP WITHOUT WORK...
    If you want to be a CEO, you really need an MBA from somewhere like London Business School, Harvard, Colombia etc.

Getting an MBA from anywhere will get you nowhere.

OP, focus on internships/jobs/degree/voluntary work/leadership/ECs. Take every opportunity that approaches you.

Then do some work experience (your job for a few years) and worry about GMAT and making your profile strong/interesting to break into a top MBA programme. Loads about this on Google

I'd be tempted to say go work in investment banking/management consulting for a few years after graduating. That will help you get into a top MBA programme and then join oil and gas and work your way up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As you're dealing with Oil and Gas you will need more ChemEng than MechEng. Have a look at the CEOs of oil companies and look at their university backgrounds.
    You have no clue what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    1) good engineering/geology related undergrad

2) work for an energy (or related) company

3) (and or so MEng/MSc)

4) ...work some more

5) work more and save up the ridiculous 30k+ for an MBA (or try get the company to fund it)

6) CEO

7) ???

8)Profit

9) Become too old to do anything with all the money you now retired with but buy a really big house and a helicopter and regularly fly over your old school as a way of gloating to all the teachers that said you'd never amount to anything.

10)???

11) more profit

ReputationRep:

Give up the dream

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know how valid your first statement is, a lot of CEO has background is ChemEng, but a lot also has backgrounds in MechEng, physical sciences etc. However, if you look at the alma mater of CEOs of top companies, you will institutions which are extremely good at engineering, applied-sciences and business, they are hardly Oxbridge, Imperial, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Caltech ("top 10") level.
    I am no expert, but I think what is required are good MBA or Masters programmes and minimum 20+ years experience in top managerial position, instead of a first (or American equivalence) in MS ChemEng from MIT.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be negative and perhaps pessimistic but you are not going to become a CEO of an oil company... My advice? Focus on getting your graduate place before you even dream of this. I hear black magic can help you get there quickly though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.