Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have just completed my GSCEs and i have a lot of time this summer, so far planned to do nothing.

Now i know Uni for me, should i go is atleast 2 years away, but i already have eyes set for a computer science degree, hopefully getting a job in the computer game industry.

Now some people have said unis prefer students with no previous experience as they don't develop bad "programmer habits", but i dont know if i should start somewhere, i have loads of time and would really like to know more about computers and how they work, i bought myself a Raspberry Pi but have not got round to using it yet.

Would you suggest starting coding or actually waiting?

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Start coding - take a look at Python, Java, maybe even some C and C++

Take a look at HTML5, CSS and PHP and make up some dinky little webpages using the fun stuff

Definitely get that Raspberry Pi out of the box and play about with it

There's no point in waiting, dive in and try it all!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing a bit of coding - Project Euler is fun if you're a mathsy person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.w3schools.com/ - I've always found this is useful for coding, if that's what you're after.

ReputationRep:
    Start coding! It's a great idea to build up experience and what you have been doing it for so long will really impress admissions officers at the universities that you apply for. I can remember my post-GCSE's summer too- I played a lot of computer games and did very little otherwise, I wish I'd used the time constructively like you.

The advice I give to all 16 year olds now is to really make the most of the holiday. Whilst waiting upon GCSE results is a bit nerve wracking you'll never have such a long time in which you have relatively little to worry about again. A bonus would be to try and find some career-related work experience. Whilst it's hard to come by temporary paid jobs in this day and age it would be really good to find some voluntary work with which you can put your skills to use. Check this website out:

http://www.it4communities.org.uk/it4...EB259C35B5BA62

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.