Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are summer jobs getting easier to find now? There were years in the past where there were very few summer jobs and that resulted in those very few being very competitive. Has the number of summer jobs available increased this year? And do most students look for summer jobs these days with rising living costs and tuition fees etc? What proportion do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ybsy75)
    Are summer jobs getting easier to find now? There were years in the past where there were very few summer jobs and that resulted in those very few being very competitive. Has the number of summer jobs available increased this year? And do most students look for summer jobs these days with rising living costs and tuition fees etc? What proportion do?
    In my opinion, with the economy recovering and prospects looking up, that more companies are looking to recruit because people have more money and therefore will spend more. This means that, in theory, there will be more jobs, however this does not mean that competition is any lower - in fact, it is higher as the workforce looking for work increases (new 16 year olds plus students that are unemployed in the older years).

A lot of students who meet the minimum age requirements (16 AND have finished their GCSE's - last week of June), look for part-time work to fund X and Y (for me: college trips abroad, a car, university - I still haven't got a car yet).

ReputationRep:
    Well.. it weren't particularly difficult for me to find I suppose. Although, I didn't really take a conventional route.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how long it takes between submitting an application to your first shift for things like events/stewarding jobs? For example, if you apply now, would you get work in August only?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.