Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any Graduate or Undergraduate Historians starting this September? Be great to get to know the people I'll be seeing around the department in advance. I'm starting a M.Litt in History this September with view to further study, and really need to sort out history.

I'm 25 and looking forward to starting again somewhere new. That tends to be my favourite recurring theme. I worked a year at Walt Disney World in Florida a few years back and then parachuted into a Wales to do my BA, having never visited the area but had a great experience.

Having worked a long time in the US I considered there for postgraduate. But then I thought, quiet you! You worked there for a year plus two summers, you're going to overdo it. So I looked at the map and being a devoted Iain Banks fan (I hate to say my choice in of Scotland really was made by in my opinion the best author in the English Language...) H was a true genius but sadly died last year of cancer. However, he did leave many evocative and appealing portrayals of Scotland without any of the stereotypical tropes with a true insight into the way people think.

So yes. I am ashamed to admit a big factor was love of his books and desire to explore the country that inspired him and in which he set many of his novels in various different communities within Scotland.

Anyone else within History have odd inspirations that just made you feel Glasgow was right for you and helped guide your choice.

ReputationRep:
    i'm an undergrad starting a history and politics degree in september.. and i met Iain Banks once when i was twelve.. at the time i didn't know who he was but my mum went crazy when i told her - my gran lives in the outer hebrides and he came to see her to ask about life on the island.. funny that!

i also did love the crow road.. best opening line in a novel ever!

ReputationRep:
    Are you a scottish local yourself? I'm totally jealous about you getting to meet the great man before he died.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just here to say how much I love Iain Banks. Mostly the Culture books though. They're really amazing.

Weirdly, I couldn't make it through The Wasp Factory. Probably didn't read far enough though, I should probably try that again someday. Can you recommend some of his mainstream stuff to someone who usually reads SF?

ReputationRep:
    Oh god. Yes. Wasp Factory isn't a good advert.... Maybe something as Iain M. Banks you might find less grotesque? But as you say you aren't after the Scifi.. I enjoyed Transition, Crow Road and Stonemouth quite a lot.

The Cultureverse is my heaven. Kinda sad really but it really would be so much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really get to anything really gruesome, apart from animal skulls all over. I just didn't care enough about the setting or the character to keep reading. It was just so pointlessly depressing. I really didn't get very far though, and I know Banks is a slow starter, but at least with the Culture books I've read there's always at least one character to be interested in and a cool weird setting.

And yeah, I'd love to be a Culture citizen. I'd just go travelling for a few centuries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.