Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have a conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam to study Diagnostic Radiography. I pretty much have my heart set on Sheffield and have recently applied for accommodation there. The problem is I've been told I'll get around 2,200 for my maintenance loan from student finance England and around 2,600 from my NHS bursary. Looking back now at how much the accommodation is going to cost me for the year it's around 4000-4,400. This would leave me with around 400 for the year to live on! Is this possible? Is there any other money I can access. I know Sheffield have a bursary scheme and from what I can see that will be an extra 700 which is helpful but I still feel very apprehensive!
    If anyone can give me guidance or reassurance it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Jacob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wazowski1)
    Hello,
    I have a conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam to study Diagnostic Radiography. I pretty much have my heart set on Sheffield and have recently applied for accommodation there. The problem is I've been told I'll get around 2,200 for my maintenance loan from student finance England and around 2,600 from my NHS bursary. Looking back now at how much the accommodation is going to cost me for the year it's around 4000-4,400. This would leave me with around 400 for the year to live on! Is this possible? Is there any other money I can access. I know Sheffield have a bursary scheme and from what I can see that will be an extra 700 which is helpful but I still feel very apprehensive!
    If anyone can give me guidance or reassurance it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Jacob
    You aren't eligible for the bursary scheme as an NHS student. However you can get a bank account with an overdraft of up to £2000 depending on the bank, but otherwise its expected if you don't get the full amount that your parents will help out. or you will get a job.

ReputationRep:
    So should I not have applied for the NHS bursary? Should I have just applied for a maintenance grant?
    Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wazowski1)
    So should I not have applied for the NHS bursary? Should I have just applied for a maintenance grant?
    Thanks for the reply!
    You can't apply for the maintenance grant if you are studying a course that the NHS will pay for.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh see I thought that was the case! It looks like it will just be a tough and debt-full first year whilst I adjust to student life!
    Thanks again for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.