Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does George Osborne know his times table? Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    George Osborne was asked by a 7 year old child whether he knew what the answer to 8 x 7 was.

"I'm not gonna get into a whole string of...er...I'm not going to...er...I've made it a rule in life not to answer a load of Maths questions".

This guy's our Chancellor of the Exchequer. Did history A-level. Did maths A-level apparently. What on earth's wrong with him?

Here's the video of this little beauty.

ReputationRep:
    In before someone calls him Gideon.

ReputationRep:
    So?

I have a maths A-level and struggle with mental arithmatic.

ReputationRep:
    People who tend to be good at times tables simply memorised the answers to the sums. Times tables are a memory test, not an arithmetic or mathematical display.

ReputationRep:
    "George Osborne doesn't want to answer a mental arithmetic question"

Fixed that title for you. There's no way he didn't know the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    People who tend to be good at times tables simply memorised the answers to the sums. Times tables are a memory test, not an arithmetic or mathematical display.
    But if you can't remember a multiplication when both numbers are under ten, you should be able to use arithmetic to work it out (if you are over ten).
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    "George Osborne doesn't want to answer a mental arithmetic question"

Fixed that title for you. There's no way he didn't know the answer.
    Why didn't he answer it then? :confused: I would've done in his position - it came to me in 2 seconds

ReputationRep:
    What's with the deliberately and idiotically misleading title?

Trying out for a role with a tabloid newspaper?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    What's with the deliberately and idiotically misleading title?

Trying out for a role with a tabloid newspaper?
    Touché
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I think of myself as relatively intellectually-together but I'm not great with mental arithmetic. I wouldn't have been confident to answer straight off the bat knowing getting it wrong meant career-affecting embarrassment.

Something important to keep in mind is that the test wasn't whether he could work it out (he probably can) - it was whether he could remember it. The fact that he hasn't got his times tables memorised isn't a big deal in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    You are accusing a 43 year-old man who went to Oxford University whether or not he "knows his times table", am I reading this correctly?

ReputationRep:
    Of course he knows the answer, he simply didn't want to answer it.
    I don't really see what the big deal is. Why should he have to answer a question as pointless as that?

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in A Level Maths and don't know my times tables, it's a pointless exercise. I don't see the big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh 8*7 is the one that always causes me problems as well, can never remember it straight off for some reason

It's a political thing. The BBC highlighted it when a former Labour minister over a decade ago was asked the same question and got it wrong. These days politicians are taught just not to answer questions like this because it can get really humiliating if it goes wrong.

ReputationRep:
      Is it just men who uses my fingers to do these sorts of questions. I know hat 7^2 is 49 and from that I just count up 7 with my fingers :lol:. Yes, I shall fail university +1.

ReputationRep:
      As above he has a policy of not answering maths questions, no matter how trivial, because eventually he will slip up and make a mistake at which point "George Osbourne can't do basic maths" will be a headline.

I always been able to beast my time tables, but not because I'm smart its because I learned them by wrote in primary school. I know the answers like you know the words to a nursery rhyme, there is no calculation involved.

ReputationRep:
      I saw a page on the BBC about is 7 x 8 the hardest maths question. I was wonder what spawned that little page.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      He has a reputation to uphold among an electorate which is mindlessly swayed by misleading news headlines.

It looks like the boy is reading from what is potentially a "whole string" of questions, which is why Osborne didn't want to answer the first one. The papers would have had (even more of) a field day if he'd got any of them wrong, or if he'd stopped once getting started.

It would also have provided a precedent to bombard him with more complex problems in the future.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by alow)
      I got an A* in A Level Maths and don't know my times tables, it's a pointless exercise. I don't see the big deal.
      so if someone asked you a question like that you'd be completely lost at sea...?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.