Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    So I live in Northern Ireland and go to the top grammar school there, (seems on here we're known as the posh swots from Lumen Christi.)
    I want to study History at uni, and I'm considered applying for Oxford, their combined History/Archaeology course. (I can't remember the proper title right now.)
    I've done my own research and all, but I would like to hear other people's views on studying history. My family, which really is my granny, is against me studying history, as they believe I won't have a "real job" when I finish my degree, but I want to go post-grad and get a PhD in Irish or Tudor history.
    I'm definitely applying for York, for their History course and their Historical Archaeology course. I'm considered applying for a History/Politics joint degree also somewhere.
    I have the grades; I've 13 GCSEs (5A*, 6A, a B and a C - the B is in Maths, which I completed in 1 year, and the C is in Additional Maths, which I completed in 1 year; it's near the equivalent of AS Maths what you have to do!) and I'm waiting for my AS results (I do History, English Lit, RE, and Politics, but I'm seriously considering dropping RE and picking up another AS). I'm predicted 4 As, but I know that overall in History and Politics it will shock me if I don't get A* in both. I'm also a Senior Prefect, play an instrument, and I've never been in trouble at school; I'll get a brilliant reference.
    So, is it worth me applying for Oxford? I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely! Why not? Although it's worth clarifying that the course at Oxford you sound like you're thinking of is Classical Archaeology and *Ancient* History, so you don't get much opportunity to study anything post-400 AD.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glushko)
    Absolutely! Why not? Although it's worth clarifying that the course at Oxford you sound like you're thinking of is Classical Archaeology and *Ancient* History, so you don't get much opportunity to study anything post-400 AD.
    I'm actually interested in ancient history, I've a weird knowledge on roman and Greek gods
    I might just apply for pure History, but I'm worried about the HAT. I've looked at samples and they're horrible.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you'd have a pretty good shot, although it might be a bit difficult to write a personal statement if you're applying to four different courses.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I know And I've absolutely no help from my school because I think no one has ever considered studying politics there before; I'm the first person to even study it at A Level.
    I'd choose politics over archaeology if I had to, but I am definitely going for a history degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.