The Student Room Group

Cant get into UK medical/dental schools? Got bad a level grades? Buy a degree!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muppet Science
Erm, it kinda does. Of course academic ability isn't the only important factor for medics, but there is a reason we go through five years of exams to be called 'Dr.' and then a further year before being GMC certified.

The title of 'Dr.' is not exclusive to the field of medicine.
Original post by Sycopation

Has the standard of doctors become that much better as the entry requirements in UK have slowly risen from BBB to AAA?

The proportion of people achieving such grades has risen pretty much in parallel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
If they're smart enough to get through foundation and everything even abroad I'm pretty sure they'll be good enough...

I wouldn't care less or even notice if my Doctor got a B in Maths.

Has the standard of doctors become that much better as the entry requirements in UK have slowly risen from BBB to AAA?

They wouldn't do foundation training abroad, they would do it in the UK after graduating abroad.
Fact of the matter is that AAA is not hard to achieve at a public school if you're even slightly intelligent. A doctor/dentist should and must be an intelligent person. I got higher than AAA, I didnt go to public school, I didnt work very hard and Im not highly intelligent.
Original post by teen1234
They wouldn't do foundation training abroad, they would do it in the UK after graduating abroad.
Fact of the matter is that AAA is not hard to achieve at a public school if you're even slightly intelligent. A doctor/dentist should and must be an intelligent person. I got higher than AAA, I didnt go to public school, I didnt work very hard and Im not highly intelligent.

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry for not clarifying it.

If they really weren't intelligent they wouldn't pass foundation, it's harder to pass that than get 3 As?
Reply 44
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry for not clarifying it.

If they really weren't intelligent they wouldn't pass foundation, it's harder to pass that than get 3 As?

Yes, that is true. But that is just my opinion on getting AAA. More important than that though, all UK medical/dental graduates should be guaranteed foundation places in the UK and have a priority over EU grads. Fortunately they've done it with dentistry (although not particularly to help young dentists but to make sure the taxpayer's money isn't wasted) - wont be long until its the same with medicine.
In terms of intelligence, some of the most stupid people I've ever met applied for medicine and dentistry - I hope for the sake of all of us they're rejected or fail the course or by some miracle become more intelligent.
Original post by ando181
Jealous of what?
I can get the grades to get into a Uk medical/dental school so I dont have to go to a second world country to study - why on earth would I be jealous?
Would you want a complete dimwit who couldn't handle A levels because they were either too lazy or too stupid to be your doctor screening you for cancer? Or your dentist drilling in your mouth?
I think not.

The irony that you call these individuals dimwits or ignorant or lazy yet here you are accusing them ALL of being lazy or too stupid. I know a girl who got evicted out her house during her AS exams and because of that she stuffed up, doesnt mean she was incapable or too lazy, shes a very hard worker and now she got into kings to study medicine and she didnt even get all A's. And you think you're going to be an amazing doctor? look at you, your good grades will NEVER compensate for your disgusting and ignorant and selfish attitude. I'd rather have someone who went to study abroad but have genuine sympathy when screening me for cancer instead of some horrible cow like you who graduated from Queen Mary's or Cambridge.

And going abroad to study just shows their mere determination, they could have just did biomed and went to a university here but they didn't want to. Not all of us have rich parents either and not all of us get all A's and A* DESPITE HAVE STUDIED OUR ASSES OFF.

Yes congratulations on your grades and managing to get into the university you want without daddy's money and being naturally intelligent, but don't be rude and ignorant and stereotype everyone who goes to study abroad.
They would have to spend the next 5 yrs of their life in a gypsy university and adapt and learn a different language.....
Original post by solarplexus
They would have to spend the next 5 yrs of their life in a gypsy university and adapt and learn a different language.....

1) there's nothing wrong with learning a different language
2) some universities are international and speak english you know christ
Original post by TheNextAmyLee
1) there's nothing wrong with learning a different language
2) some universities are international and speak english you know christ

I guess but they must be pretty desperate..to change their lifestyle for 5 years...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending