The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thomasllf
Any other vacation scheme applications open at other firms?

PwC Legal :smile:
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
PwC Legal :smile:

Thanks!
I've been going through the Jones Day application filling in all the standard stuff (personal details, A levels etc) but I'm not sure how to differentiate between work experience and extra-curriculars. I guess the things I do are more extra-curricular, but some do sort of overlap with a work experience context.

Could you give me an example where that problem arises? I wish there was a standard applications that all firms used, would make like so much easier lol.
Original post by Defragmentation
Could you give me an example where that problem arises? I wish there was a standard applications that all firms used, would make like so much easier lol.

Like J-SP said above, one example could be volunteering in a legal advice clinic, and I don't know, I guess being on a society committee could be one too depending on what you're doing :erm:
Like J-SP said above, one example could be volunteering in a legal advice clinic, and I don't know, I guess being on a society committee could be one too depending on what you're doing :erm:

Yeah, that's true. Although, I'd always place society related experience as an extra-curricular tbf.
ugh
I've been going through the Jones Day application filling in all the standard stuff (personal details, A levels etc) but I'm not sure how to differentiate between work experience and extra-curriculars. I guess the things I do are more extra-curricular, but some do sort of overlap with a work experience context.

Oh! I was looking at the form too! The form is so simple that it is scary :/ When do you plan to apply? I was thinking maybe end of september or mid oct :/
Original post by RobertWhite
I'm just going to ease your worries slightly. Here are some of my academic details:

GCSE: 4 A's 6 B's 1 D
AS Level: ABBC
A2 Level: A*A*A (third highest mark in year and highest in each subject)
1st year Psychology: 68% (2.1 and above in all modules)
1st year Law: 67% (2.1 and above in all modules)
2nd year Law: 64.75% (2.1 and above in all modules, highest mark in one module)

My personal tutor often says I'm too negative about my performance. I wanted 66%+ in my second year of law but achieved 60% and 61% in a couple of the modules. You need to demonstrate academic flare and getting the odd 2.2 or low 2.1 doesn't matter. I've been offered a training contract from White & Case. I was also offered a VAC scheme interview with Travers Smith. As long as you achieve a mid 2.1 + there shouldn't be any problems in applying to a mid sized commercial law firm. Recent grades are far more important than earlier ones. It's more important to focus on experience, commercial awareness, demonstrating your enthusiasm for commercial law and yourself as a character. As long as you meet their requirements, which the firm often specifies, there shouldn't be a problem with academic details.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I think you've settled my doubts about my GCSE results but I still feel a little anxious about my degree results as I didn't get consistent 2:1s throughout my course. Also, I agree with your personal tutor: you are negative about your academic performance because some of those results are amazing. Well done. :smile: Do you know (or anyone who's reading this post) if firms like Herbert Smith Freehills or other Silver Circle firms emphasize the importance of getting consistent 2:1s throughout your degree?

Thank you for insight and advice!
Original post by coke_addict2010
Hey, thanks for the reply! I think you've settled my doubts about my GCSE results but I still feel a little anxious about my degree results as I didn't get consistent 2:1s throughout my course. Also, I agree with your personal tutor: you are negative about your academic performance because some of those results are amazing. Well done. :smile: Do you know (or anyone who's reading this post) if firms like Herbert Smith Freehills or other Silver Circle firms emphasize the importance of getting consistent 2:1s throughout your degree?

Firms do look for consistency. How many 2.1s compared to 2.2s do you have?
Also guys, is having completed a first year open day / workshop with the firm a substantial benefit when applying? Or do they not pay much attention to such matters?

I wanna apply to HSF because I really enjoyed my time there during the first year workshop. However if it means that I won't be able to apply for a TC there if I get rejected this time, I'm not sure if I want to risk it.
Firms do look for consistency. How many 2.1s compared to 2.2s do you have?

I only have one 2:2 which was a 58 in my second year. I also, however, got a 61 aswell in my second year. But in my final year, I got 67+ in all my modules and so averaging out at a 66. Do you know if they're more lenient when it comes to non-law degrees?
I only have one 2:2 which was a 58 in my second year. I also, however, got a 61 aswell in my second year. But in my final year, I got 67+ in all my modules and so averaging out at a 66. Do you know if they're more lenient when it comes to non-law degrees?

I don't see any reason why firms would be more lenient towards non-law degrees. They expect a strong level of academic performance no matter what it is you study. Getting one 2.2 and 61% is not an issue in my opinion, however. Especially taking into consideration your strong third year performance.
I don't see any reason why firms would be more lenient towards non-law degrees. They expect a strong level of academic performance no matter what it is you study. Getting one 2.2 and 61% is not an issue in my opinion, however. Especially taking into consideration your strong third year performance.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that law firms would be more lenient towards those doing a non-law degree. Thanks for your advice. :smile:
How many of you guys are in the position where you'd have to miss the entire last week of term for one of these schemes, e.g. Jones Day starting on the 8th Dec? Considering it's final year, with all the inevitable deadlines coming in final week, I'm having a few misgivings about this. One or two are starting a week earlier even, which seems mad to me, whereas a couple start later luckily... Your thoughts?
Reply 74

Hey, I scraped a 2:1 overall in first year and did a lot better in second year and I still got offers for two vac schemes. I was asked about that in a couple of interviews but I just said I learnt from my mistakes and improved from there. From my personal experience, I think they care more about your answers and work exp than your results, a 2:1 is just a basic filtering requirement. However, there are some firms (Baker & McKenzie I know are one of them) do look for consistent 2:1s. Probably just best to e-mail and ask before starting an application. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by pp93
Hey, I scraped a 2:1 overall in first year and did a lot better in second year and I still got offers for two vac schemes. I was asked about that in a couple of interviews but I just said I learnt from my mistakes and improved from there. From my personal experience, I think they care more about your answers and work exp than your results, a 2:1 is just a basic filtering requirement. However, there are some firms (Baker & McKenzie I know are one of them) do look for consistent 2:1s. Probably just best to e-mail and ask before starting an application. Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks for your reply and your advice! I was wondering, though, how do you know that Baker & McKenzie look for consistent 2:1s?

Also, I also wanted to know if anyone had any experience or insight into Herbert Smith Freehills? I know that they're a SC firm and, in some regards, even rival the MC ones, but I was wondering what they're application process was like and were they just as likely to scrutinise your grades like a firm like Slaughter and May would?
Reply 76
Thanks for your reply and your advice! I was wondering, though, how do you know that Baker & McKenzie look for consistent 2:1s?

Also, I also wanted to know if anyone had any experience or insight into Herbert Smith Freehills? I know that they're a SC firm and, in some regards, even rival the MC ones, but I was wondering what they're application process was like and were they just as likely to scrutinise your grades like a firm like Slaughter and May would?

Last year I was rejected by them at the application form stage and e-mailed asking what their criteria were. They replied saying that they looked for a consistent 2:1 even in first year amongst other things.

I'm also intrigued about HSF so I had a quick google and came across this http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/Law/WebExtras/189 - so I don't think you should be discouraged! They'd be stupid to write off an otherwise good applicant just because of a handful of 2:2s in the early years of their degree. However, it's worth e-mailing to get a proper answer :smile:
I'm so paranoid about not getting onto any VSs :afraid: - especially because of my lack of work experience with solicitors
Heya, does anyone have a list of vacation schemes available to second year non-law students? I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone can help with this.
I'm so paranoid about not getting onto any VSs :afraid: - especially because of my lack of work experience with solicitors

I understand where you're coming from I was in this position. I found the main problem was attending a vacation scheme allows you to express to a far greater degree your motivations for law and the actual environment in which you'll work. Don't let it put you off. Go to law fairs if you're at university and try to impress the recruitment there who may take note of your name and build your cv in other ways, you will want something law/business related though if that's the avenue of law you're considering otherwise you're giving them firm nothing to work with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending