The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laz_LeBaz
Long time lurker, first time participant. Had an assessment day with CC last Tuesday and an interview with Slaughter and May the Wednesday before that. Still waiting on a response from both. Anyone any news on either firm?

I haven't heard back from Slaughters either and my interview was last week. Don't know anybody else who has so they're probably waiting till everyone's been interviewed.

How was CC? I have mine in a few days :redface:
Original post by ScroogeHumbug
So quick question chaps, I am working on an application and the first part of the question is

Use the space below to introduce yourself and tell us why you wish to pursue a legal career.

Now I am rather confused about the introduce yourself bit. I feel repeating my name etc. would be redundant given it is on the application form. What would you advise?

If I was answering that question, I would treat it almost like a cover letter to introduce a bit about yourself that you have not mentioned elsewhere, and try and tie that in with why you want to pursue a legal career - e.g. if you have had work experience in another industry and through that you became interested in a particular area of law etc.

What are the other questions like? Is there also a cover letter etc? I agree with J-SP that you should try to make sure you are not repeating yourself - good luck with the app!
Original post by Defragmentation
Vac Scheme offer from A&O. Absolutely surprised.

Congratulations! Went for their AC on Wednesday. So nervous waiting for their response.
Original post by zenstars
Congratulations! Went for their AC on Wednesday. So nervous waiting for their response.

Thaaanks! Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, so try and put A&O out of your mind for now :tongue:
Does anyone have any advice for the Olswang telephone interview?
Reply 1565
Anyone heard anything from HFW post-AC?
Reply 1566
Original post by welshforever92
Does anyone have any advice for the Olswang telephone interview?

It's heavily competency based - they start of with the usual questions of Why Olswang etc. but then it's just giving examples of when you have worked towards tight deadlines, difficult team members etc, nothing out of the blue. good luck!
When writing a cover letter and discussing why you want to work at the firm how much is one expected to write? I spoke about two main reasons, would that be enough generally?
Original post by pp93
It's heavily competency based - they start of with the usual questions of Why Olswang etc. but then it's just giving examples of when you have worked towards tight deadlines, difficult team members etc, nothing out of the blue. good luck!

That's really helpful, thank you! :smile:
That's really helpful, thank you! :smile:

Can I ask when you applied and heard? :smile:
Original post by superxo2
If a question asks for 250 words on "other: qualifications/skills/distinctions/prizes", do you have to reach at least 200-250 words? because I don't have any prizes/distinctions etc.

I think it is more important to fill the word count on questions like "why us". I think for this question, I wouldn't worry about trying to fill the words (the 250 words are probably just offering you the word count if you do want to explain/expand a qualification), especially if you are early on in your degree - I wasn't awarded anything like that until the end of my final year etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Can I ask when you applied and heard? :smile:

I applied on the 15th Jan, got the online test on the 20th, then got the telephone interview invite on the 22nd.
Reply 1572
Has anyone done the Boodle hatfield application? They asked the standard questions (why us, why law) and also want a cover letter but I'm a bit lost on what more there is for us to write as they've asked everything I would have written in a cover letter...
I applied on the 15th Jan, got the online test on the 20th, then got the telephone interview invite on the 22nd.

Thanks - good luck for the interview!
Original post by J-SP
Commute - you don't need a hotel. Just make sure you leave enough time to get there.

Nerves - prepare yourself in the same way you do as an exam. Different people will have different routines. For instance if it was me, I'd get close to the office early, then find somewhere nearby to treat myself to a nice coffee/breakfast/brunch and then chill out before the assessments. The night before I would do the last minute prep. But some people would prefer to be doing that prep right up until the assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Macfarlanes in the first week of November and have heard nothing since, except a request for some missing information which I promptly provided.

From your experiences, do many firms just reject en masse after the deadline, or have a 'maybe' pile? (people who applied later than me have been rejected/interviewed)
Has anyone been to an Ashurst interview? Have no idea what to expect

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1576
Original post by footchemllab
I've got the nabarro video interview to do this weekend as well! I've done a video interview before. A question pops up on screen and you have 10-20seconds to think of an answer, then the camera will start recording and you'll have say 2 mins to say your answer to the question, you can stop recording for each question if you finish as well and each question will be back to back, hope that helps :smile:

Can I also clarify if there is a timer on screen so I can see how long I have left to complete my response?
Original post by ZaraW
Is this before or after AC? It says that the status of my application is Interview stage for Linklaters, but they haven't emailed me a date or anything yet! I emailed Grad rec and they said they will be sending out dates soon!

Before AC
Original post by Chianti1
Has anybody heard from Latham recently? :smile:

I got an offer a few days ago :smile:
Original post by Swimmer
When writing a cover letter and discussing why you want to work at the firm how much is one expected to write? I spoke about two main reasons, would that be enough generally?

Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending