Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scored 94/100 on an anxiety test - should I be worried? Watch

I decided to do an anxiety test on Psychology Today because I've always had glimpses of "symptoms of anxiety". I didn't think much of it when I started it but when I got the following results, I started to doubt my own perceptions of myself (if that makes sense):

Attachment 299796

I know it's just an online test, maybe a phony one that I shouldn't even notice, but I'm getting really worried now and I'd like some honest opinions on this. I can't explain how much the results (the written bit) reflects how I feel now and I think it's actually true in some ways. I just never knew I was that bad so I've never accepted I've had anxiety or not. I guess I'm in denial a lot. I just wanted to know if I should trust this and if so, should I take any notice of it?

N.B. I answered all of the question truthfully, no over exaggerating/under exaggerating.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I decided to do an anxiety test on Psychology Today because I've always had glimpses of "symptoms of anxiety". I didn't think much of it when I started it but when I got the following results, I started to doubt my own perceptions of myself (if that makes sense):

Attachment 299796

I know it's just an online test, maybe a phony one that I shouldn't even notice, but I'm getting really worried now and I'd like some honest opinions on this. I can't explain how much the results (the written bit) reflects how I feel now and I think it's actually true in some ways. I just never knew I was that bad so I've never accepted I've had anxiety or not. I guess I'm in denial a lot. I just wanted to know if I should trust this and if so, should I take any notice of it?

N.B. I answered all of the question truthfully, no over exaggerating/under exaggerating.
    Hi I'm probably not going to over amazingly good advice, but one thing I will say is never trust those quizzes. They are not a tool for a diagnosis, and they just end up freaking you out. Maybe go on the NHS website and have a look at the symptoms of anxiety. Keep a log of your own symptoms, that you feel relate to your anxiety. Write them down every day, just like a diary. Then take those to your GP and see what they have to say. So if you feel too nervous to explain to them how you feel, you have it all in writing

FYI your attachment doesn't seem to work. But it might just be me

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of serious matters to be anxious about - I wouldn't blame anyone for being an anxious person in today's world. All the same, I suggest you don't bother with anxiety over whether you are an anxious person. I think that's a waste of one's time and energy.

(Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth)
    Hi I'm probably not going to over amazingly good advice, but one thing I will say is never trust those quizzes. They are not a tool for a diagnosis, and they just end up freaking you out. Maybe go on the NHS website and have a look at the symptoms of anxiety. Keep a log of your own symptoms, that you feel relate to your anxiety. Write them down every day, just like a diary. Then take those to your GP and see what they have to say. So if you feel too nervous to explain to them how you feel, you have it all in writing

FYI your attachment doesn't seem to work. But it might just be me
    That's exactly what I thought too, I guess I did it to see what the outcome would be - sort of like an experiment? And that sounds like a good idea, since my exams are over now and I have a long summer I guess I might start logging some thoughts down - whether or not I could approach my GP is another step but at least the writing could give me some idea of myself.

And yeah, the attachment doesn't work I don't think - I'm not sure why

Thanks for all the advice, though

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else see the funny side to this thread?

ReputationRep:
    An anxiety test just seems like the worst possible idea.

ReputationRep:
    Most ironic thread title I've seen on here.

But on a serious note, go and see your GP if you're seriously worried about your mental health, especially if it affects your ability to function rationally.

ReputationRep:
    my teenager once did some online psychology tests which were supposed to measure the same thing and came out with very different results - so I'd be wary of taking any internet quiz seriosuly.

However if you think you may be a bit anxious it's always a good idea to learn some mindfulness techniques and a bit of yoga, perhaps some breathing exercises. . http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-...ds=mindfulness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perflous)
    Most ironic thread title I've seen on here.

But on a serious note, go and see your GP if you're seriously worried about your mental health, especially if it affects your ability to function rationally.
    This lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Anyone else see the funny side to this thread?
    Well yes, my first thought seeing the title was that this would be a joke, cause it is kind of an ironic title.

But I won't mock the OP, cause its clearly a serious thread and obviously high levels of anxiety are not a joke as I well know with it ruining my life, so if you're really worried OP, I suggest you go to your doctor and maybe they'll refer you to counselling if necessary. I don't know what test you took, but have you taken the GAD-7? Cause that is the official NHS test that you'd typically be given by an NHS member of staff.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/gene...sessment-gad-7

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.