Where the tudors a family or a group of people at that time? Watch

Dan.dont
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok I'm confused, when it comes to the past and things like Romans, tudors and stuff like that what is the actual difference! The romans they were like a group of people I think. But lets look at the tudors, where they just simply a family that ruled England for 118 years?
darkred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were a race of people.
Dan.dont
Rep:
?
(Original post by darkred)
They were a race of people.
No they werent...
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Tudors were the family. The people are called Elizabethans etc depending on which monarch they lived under.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually pretty fair to be confused. Th Tudors was the family name, but English people living under their influence can also be referred to as Tudors.

In the same way Victorians lived under Victoria. Make sense?

For simplicities sake it's far easier to refer to them by the Monarchs first name though to prevent confusion like this
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were a family.
Dan.dont
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
Actually pretty fair to be confused. Th Tudors was the family name, but English people living under their influence can also be referred to as Tudors.

In the same way Victorians lived under Victoria. Make sense?

For simplicities sake it's far easier to refer to them by the Monarchs first name though to prevent confusion like this
That makes sense, especially when you put in the examples of the Victorians tanx! Can I ask- at that time was the period known as the Elizabethan period or was it known as the tudor period?
Dan.dont
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
The Tudors were the family. The people are called Elizabethans etc depending on which monarch they lived under.
So where the Tudors Elizabethan, after all that was just a family name? Sorry if I sound stupid
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were named after the founder and first King in the dynasty: Henry Tudor.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you the same guy who was asking what a monarch is?
brendonbackflip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tudors were a family who controlled the throne 1485-1603. Henry VII - Elizabeth I were Tudors, and so it's fine to note them as Tudors.
However, its also common to talk about the "Henrican", "Elizabethan", "Marian" period, which directly relates to which particular monarch is ruling (although I think when you hear "Henrican" it usually just refers to Henry VIII, someone may need to back me up on this though). Another way you could possibily hear it is the "Mid Tudors" for Edward and Mary.

In comparison, the Romans were originally from Rome, hence why they were called that - like how the British are from Britain.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by brendonbackflip)
However, its also common to talk about the "Henrican", "Elizabethan", "Marian" period, which directly relates to which particular monarch is ruling
To be accurate, "Henrician". Normally used of the reign of Henry VIII, not that of Henry VII.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess that the majority of cases where the term 'the Tudors' is used would be in reference to the royal family whose head was Henry Tudor/Henry VII
brendonbackflip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
To be accurate, "Henrician". Normally used of the reign of Henry VIII, not that of Henry VII.
My spelling gets the worst of me
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dan.dont)
So where the Tudors Elizabethan, after all that was just a family name? Sorry if I sound stupid
Although she was called Elizabeth Tudor, the times under her were different enough to the rest of the Tudors to warrant the different label, Elizabethan =]
Dan.dont
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
Although she was called Elizabeth Tudor, the times under her were different enough to the rest of the Tudors to warrant the different label, Elizabethan =]
Tanx for your help!!
mathscot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
They were named after the founder and first King in the dynasty: Henry Tudor.
Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I (not to be confused with Mary queen of Scots who was her cousin and inccidently was beheaded by Mary I) Elizabeth I

Posted from TSR Mobile
colourtheory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were technically a dynasty / dynastic family
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mathscot)
Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I (not to be confused with Mary queen of Scots who was her cousin and inccidently was beheaded by Mary I) Elizabeth I

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually, Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded by Elizabeth I.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Actually, Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded by Elizabeth I.
Well, the executioner's name was Simon Bull, actually. The privy council hurried the execution along without Elizabeth's knowledge (though she had already signed the death warrant).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (95)
16.67%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (60)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (100)
17.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (86)
15.09%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (57)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (172)
30.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed