Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where the tudors a family or a group of people at that time? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm confused, when it comes to the past and things like Romans, tudors and stuff like that what is the actual difference! The romans they were like a group of people I think. But lets look at the tudors, where they just simply a family that ruled England for 118 years?

ReputationRep:
    They were a race of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkred)
    They were a race of people.
    No they werent...

ReputationRep:
    The Tudors were the family. The people are called Elizabethans etc depending on which monarch they lived under.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Actually pretty fair to be confused. Th Tudors was the family name, but English people living under their influence can also be referred to as Tudors.

In the same way Victorians lived under Victoria. Make sense?

For simplicities sake it's far easier to refer to them by the Monarchs first name though to prevent confusion like this

ReputationRep:
    They were a family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Actually pretty fair to be confused. Th Tudors was the family name, but English people living under their influence can also be referred to as Tudors.

In the same way Victorians lived under Victoria. Make sense?

For simplicities sake it's far easier to refer to them by the Monarchs first name though to prevent confusion like this
    That makes sense, especially when you put in the examples of the Victorians tanx! Can I ask- at that time was the period known as the Elizabethan period or was it known as the tudor period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    The Tudors were the family. The people are called Elizabethans etc depending on which monarch they lived under.
    So where the Tudors Elizabethan, after all that was just a family name? Sorry if I sound stupid

ReputationRep:
    They were named after the founder and first King in the dynasty: Henry Tudor.

ReputationRep:
    Are you the same guy who was asking what a monarch is?

ReputationRep:
    Tudors were a family who controlled the throne 1485-1603. Henry VII - Elizabeth I were Tudors, and so it's fine to note them as Tudors.
    However, its also common to talk about the "Henrican", "Elizabethan", "Marian" period, which directly relates to which particular monarch is ruling (although I think when you hear "Henrican" it usually just refers to Henry VIII, someone may need to back me up on this though). Another way you could possibily hear it is the "Mid Tudors" for Edward and Mary.

In comparison, the Romans were originally from Rome, hence why they were called that - like how the British are from Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    However, its also common to talk about the "Henrican", "Elizabethan", "Marian" period, which directly relates to which particular monarch is ruling
    To be accurate, "Henrician". Normally used of the reign of Henry VIII, not that of Henry VII.

ReputationRep:
    I guess that the majority of cases where the term 'the Tudors' is used would be in reference to the royal family whose head was Henry Tudor/Henry VII

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    To be accurate, "Henrician". Normally used of the reign of Henry VIII, not that of Henry VII.
    My spelling gets the worst of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan.dont)
    So where the Tudors Elizabethan, after all that was just a family name? Sorry if I sound stupid
    Although she was called Elizabeth Tudor, the times under her were different enough to the rest of the Tudors to warrant the different label, Elizabethan =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Although she was called Elizabeth Tudor, the times under her were different enough to the rest of the Tudors to warrant the different label, Elizabethan =]
    Tanx for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    They were named after the founder and first King in the dynasty: Henry Tudor.
    Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I (not to be confused with Mary queen of Scots who was her cousin and inccidently was beheaded by Mary I) Elizabeth I

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They were technically a dynasty / dynastic family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathscot)
    Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I (not to be confused with Mary queen of Scots who was her cousin and inccidently was beheaded by Mary I) Elizabeth I

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually, Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded by Elizabeth I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Actually, Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded by Elizabeth I.
    Well, the executioner's name was Simon Bull, actually. The privy council hurried the execution along without Elizabeth's knowledge (though she had already signed the death warrant).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.