The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2015

Scroll to see replies

Received an offer for English after exactly a week.
University of York
York
Anyone here applying for Law LLB? Or received an offer/interview?

AS Results: AAAA
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*
Original post by MissHannah-19
Hi

I'm thinking of applying for either Environmental Science or Environmental Geography, either way I need ABB and I got AACD at AS. Need to re-sit two modules and should have AAAB, so hopefully will be made an offer!!! :biggrin:

Hi, I've applied for Environmental Geography at York, I think the course sounds better than environmental science. I also looked and Environment with Human Geography.
Original post by cjfoxall
Hi, I've applied for Environmental Geography at York, I think the course sounds better than environmental science. I also looked and Environment with Human Geography.

Yay I am a Human Geography and environment applicant. Well when my reference and predicted grades are added after half term.:biggrin:
Has anyone possibly applied for Chemistry and already has been to the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MPKent8934
Hi everyone I'm new to TSR and I've applied to York to do history and politics starting next year - just wondered if I'd meet anyone who's applied for the same/similar courses??

I sent my application off a couple of days ago and am looking to study History and Politics. If I get an offer from York it will be my firm, but, I don't think I'll get one :frown: I can still hope though! :biggrin: Where else are you applying?
Hi guys

I'm in my first year here (doing Psych in Ed if anyone's interested) but I can try answer a few of your accommodation questions.

I'm over in Goodricke which is on the newer campus, Hes East. The accommodation is lovely, really modern, and it definitely isn't an issue having to travel to Hes West for lectures every day.

Alcuin has the reputation as the "quiet" college, but one of my best friends is living there and her flatmates have been out every night. The rooms are really nice there though, probably the nicest I've seen on the other campus.

The only other room I've seen was in one of the older buildings in James, which was a shared bathroom catered room. This meant the kitchen was really small, and the rooms were quite small too. I've not been in any of the newer James rooms though.

Hope this helps a bit, and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 227
Original post by caitlinevans
Let me know how it goes :smile:

The only question they asked me was "why do you enjoy chemistry" and I was asked to complete a mechanism for morphine :P the rest of the time the professor just talked about the research the university is doing, I don't even think he had read my personal statement xD
I thought I didn't sound enthusiastic but my feedback letter said I did so, the interview wasn't bad at all :biggrin:
I got my offer of AAB *phew*
Good look with yours, there's nothing to worry about
Original post by Nashaa
The only question they asked me was "why do you enjoy chemistry" and I was asked to complete a mechanism for morphine :P the rest of the time the professor just talked about the research the university is doing, I don't even think he had read my personal statement xD
I thought I didn't sound enthusiastic but my feedback letter said I did so, the interview wasn't bad at all :biggrin:
I got my offer of AAB *phew*
Good look with yours, there's nothing to worry about

Thanks for letting me know :biggrin: and well done!
I have an offer here for English :biggrin: It will be my insurance choice if I don't make Cambridge - possibly even my firm. Deciding between it and KCL.
Original post by lovehistory
I sent my application off a couple of days ago and am looking to study History and Politics. If I get an offer from York it will be my firm, but, I don't think I'll get one :frown: I can still hope though! :biggrin: Where else are you applying?

I sent mine off on the 14th and haven't heard anything yet, but I'm reasonably optimistic I'll get an offer, and yeah you should be optimistic because as long as your predicted grades are decent you're always in with a chance! :smile: York will probably be my firm too, and I've also applied to Manchester (had an offer last Monday), Oxford (I'd love it but it's a long shot), Exeter, and Southampton.

Where else have you applied to?
Original post by kingdoo
What was everyones opinion on the accommodation at York I know it is a bit early to ask since people may not yet have offers (Myself included) but it has been an issue since I have thought of applying. I only liked Alcuin on the open day out of the 2 others I saw, James and Vanbrugh

Hello,

I went to visit Goodricke, Langwith and Constantine on the other part of the campus on the open day. They were really nice and modern and my favourites out of the ones I visited. Also the student ambassador said that the price included a bus service across both campuses so I thought that was great.
Original post by MPKent8934
I sent mine off on the 14th and haven't heard anything yet, but I'm reasonably optimistic I'll get an offer, and yeah you should be optimistic because as long as your predicted grades are decent you're always in with a chance! :smile: York will probably be my firm too, and I've also applied to Manchester (had an offer last Monday), Oxford (I'd love it but it's a long shot), Exeter, and Southampton.

Where else have you applied to?

Congratulations on your offer from Manchester! My predicted grades are AAB (the B being in history) so I think I might have a problem there :frown: I'm also applying to Lancaster, UEA, Newcastle and Liverpool.
Original post by lovehistory
Congratulations on your offer from Manchester! My predicted grades are AAB (the B being in history) so I think I might have a problem there :frown: I'm also applying to Lancaster, UEA, Newcastle and Liverpool.

Thanks :biggrin: I don't know if I'll accept it or not but at least I know I won't be getting 5 rejections now!

Your predicted grades are really good so you don't have too much to worry about - they should still see you into a top uni. Besides, they look at your application as a whole, so if your PS, reference, and AS/GCSE grades are good then you should still be optimistic!

I don't know much about the other unis you've applied to, except that Newcastle and Liverpool seem to be spoken of highly, and everyone at my school who visited Lancaster said it's a really nice place - so good luck with your application :smile:

Did you go on an open day to York, because I did but didn't look too much at the accommodation and just wondered which ones people thought were the nicest?
I'm applying for music :smile: any other music applicants?
Okay, I'm not going to lie, one of the reasons why I'm so excited for uni is definitely the social aspect of it. So, bearing this in mind can any current/previous students help me out and tell me which uni is the best for the partying side of it?

I've seen quite a few saying Derwent but when i visited on the open day, the accommodation there looked so old and run-down, so that didn't appeal to me (don't get me wrong i don't want luxury by any means, but that just looked really pooooooey to me)
Also, bearing this in mind am i better off applying for accommodation is Hes West than Hes East? I just get the impression that Hes East will be a much more mature atmosphere

Applied for Sociology with Criminology

Thanks!
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to University of York connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

Reply 237
I looked around James, Vanbrugh and Halifax colleges on the open day, I have to say out of those 3 Halifax was my favourite - from what I saw James college was fairly old and looked a little run-down, Vanbrugh college, well, there was nothing wrong with it, but I preferred Halifax on the grounds that it wasn't right in the middle of campus.

I'm applying for French and Linguistics.
Original post by Georgiagreen
Okay, I'm not going to lie, one of the reasons why I'm so excited for uni is definitely the social aspect of it. So, bearing this in mind can any current/previous students help me out and tell me which uni is the best for the partying side of it?

I've seen quite a few saying Derwent but when i visited on the open day, the accommodation there looked so old and run-down, so that didn't appeal to me (don't get me wrong i don't want luxury by any means, but that just looked really pooooooey to me)
Also, bearing this in mind am i better off applying for accommodation is Hes West than Hes East? I just get the impression that Hes East will be a much more mature atmosphere

Applied for Sociology with Criminology

Thanks!

Hi!

Derwent has the reputation as the "party" college but like all the stereotypes you'll probably hear it's not really true, every college has a mix of all people.
I currently live on Hes East, in Goodricke, and it's in no way quieter than the other campus is. In my flat we have people going out 3+ times a week, and people who haven't been out at all, and everyone else in between, as I imagine the majority of other flats anywhere on campus will be.

Hope this helps a bit, ask away if there's anything else you want to know :smile:
Original post by kingdoo
Yay I am a Human Geography and environment applicant. Well when my reference and predicted grades are added after half term.:biggrin:

I received an offer for environental geography! Are you looking at doing the BSc or the MEnv?

Quick Reply

Latest