Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I were to get AAB (or possibly even ABB) in my AS grades, but could get predictions of AAA or A*AA would it still be worth applying for History and Politics at Oxford? Or would they simply see a B at AS and dismiss my application entirely?

ReputationRep:
    AS grades unfortunately; predictions can be very unreliable depending on the school.

I'd still say apply - a good HAT (and possibly interview) could make up for it - but Bs will work against you.

ReputationRep:
    Acheived AS grades, precisely for the reason that people with low AS results (within the spectrum of Oxford applicants) are likely to have AAA+ predictions, so they can't be used to differentiate between the majority of applicants at all.

ReputationRep:
    They will want to see consistent academic success, so AS results are more important than predictions because predictions aren't actual proof of your ability.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Achieved.

ReputationRep:
    If you did get ABB, I would suggest taking all your subjects to A2, aiming for A/A*s across the board, receiving your results, and then applying during a gap year.

Although you don't know what grades you have until results day!

ReputationRep:
    So if i underachieved and got a couple B's does that put me out of the competition for AAA courses and mean that i have wasted a whole year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.