Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Texas cheerleader shoots Lions, Elephants, Leopards etc watch

ReputationRep:
    So you may have seen this story in the news:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...versy?s=mobile

Name a species and she has probably posed for selfies with its cold corpse.

Basically everyone is really outraged because this girl kills endangered animals in canned hunts.

What is your opinion on the matter?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The way I understand the issue is that she's only been hunting animals who have been designated as a cause for concern by the governing authority. If that's the case, the issue should be taken up with them.

I'm an animal rights advocate, but I have to accept that shooting an animal is better than it dying of dehydration, disease, a festering wound, etc. The worst I can say about her is that she has a distasteful character to enjoy what she's doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    The way I understand the issue is that she's only been hunting animals who have been designated as a cause for concern by the governing authority. If that's the case, the issue should be taken up with them.

I'm an animal rights advocate, but I have to accept that shooting an animal is better than it dying of dehydration, disease, a festering wound, etc. The worst I can say about her is that she has a distasteful character to enjoy what she's doing.
    From what I have read on the matter she does do that but also runs around shooting for trophies a lot of the time, including outside of Africa. She's covered a lot of that up now though and is parrotting 'conservation'.

Whereas before she scoffed at conservation: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...kendall-jones/

Edit: actually I'm not sure she is taking down 'I'll animals' at all from the looks of her original posts (now removed) and now she's saying she tranquilosed the rhino when before she was saying she killed it...

ReputationRep:
    I mean, can't she shoot them with a tranquilizer take the pic and go on about her life? Or if she's so big and bad take a pic next to them while they're alive....

ReputationRep:
    I have to say for the sake of conservation I fully support hunting. However I am completely against trophy hunting. There is very little point to it. Go ahead and kill animals that are not endangered and use every last part of them so that you can get the most from what you have killed. But shooting endangered animals is quite simply selfish.

ReputationRep:
    She's hunting to conserve animals? What's the big fuss about? People like to moan about everything. More kids should be heading to the outdoors and getting some exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    She's hunting to conserve animals? What's the big fuss about? People like to moan about everything. More kids should be heading to the outdoors and getting some exercise.
    Just to put it out there - no she isn't.

Only 3% of the money paid for these hunts foes to conservation and many are very genetically damaging. Conservation is an argument put in place to justify it but in reality none of these hunts are managed in a way that has any net positive effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I have to say for the sake of conservation I fully support hunting. However I am completely against trophy hunting. There is very little point to it. Go ahead and kill animals that are not endangered and use every last part of them so that you can get the most from what you have killed. But shooting endangered animals is quite simply selfish.
    The problem with hunting is it needs to be VERY closely regulated to prevent it damaging a populations genetics. For example, if you take the biggest animals, they evolve to grow to smaller sizes as those are the ones that survive. If you take the ones with the biggest horns the horns get smaller, etc.

There are very few places where it is managed properly.

ReputationRep:
    The one thing that outraged me personally is the peta-people's reaction. I'm referring to comments that were made asking for her to be killed/hunted in a similar manner.
    And we're not talking the odd 7 or so psychos giving an entire movement a bad name...I mean like ,this seems to be a general trend amongst their kind. They come across as disgusting and borderline psychotic and their moral upper-ground is annoying( Bo-hoo you're not special or god-like ,Hitler was an all-time animal lover too you freak!).

ReputationRep:
    In the US they usually hunt their classmates.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of hunters out there hunting with licenses.

What's different about her?

Oh yeah, most of them are middle-aged men, and she's an attractive 19 year old.

ReputationRep:
    People who kill animals for their own enjoyment are mentally deranged and shouldn't be allowed to own guns or other weapons, and should probably undergo psychiatric therapy. There are many legitimate reasons why a person might need to kill an an animal; 'for a laugh' isn't one of them. Enjoying killing is not a normal thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    The problem with hunting is it needs to be VERY closely regulated to prevent it damaging a populations genetics. For example, if you take the biggest animals, they evolve to grow to smaller sizes as those are the ones that survive. If you take the ones with the biggest horns the horns get smaller, etc.

There are very few places where it is managed properly.
    You can't manage the wild. But the game reserves are very well managed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betaglucowhat)
    People who kill animals for their own enjoyment are mentally deranged and shouldn't be allowed to own guns or other weapons, and should probably undergo psychiatric therapy. There are many legitimate reasons why a person might need to kill an an animal; 'for a laugh' isn't one of them. Enjoying killing is not a normal thing.
    There is nothing wrong with enjoying killing animals, but as long as it is done in a responsible manner it should be a matter to be concerned with. It is human nature to kill animals. In fact it is my favorite pass time, I shoot because I enjoy the thrill, I use every part of the animal once it has been shot. I will not take the shot unless I can guarantee a clean kill and quick painless death.

ReputationRep:
    You can't manage the wild. But the game reserves are very well managed.
    That's the problem though - shooting in the wild can and does need to genetically depreciated populations.

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem though - shooting in the wild can and does need to genetically depreciated populations.
    It is impossible to manage. Simply the sheer size in unfathomable. To put it in to perceptive; The size of Wales is 2 million hectares. The Size of the Savanna is 250 million hectares.

It is simply impossible.

ReputationRep:
    It is impossible to manage. Simply the sheer size in unfathomable. To put it in to perceptive; The size of Wales is 2 million hectares. The Size of the Savanna is 250 million hectares.

It is simply impossible.
    So monitor kills through licencing or restrict legal hunting to national parks. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    So monitor kills through licencing or restrict legal hunting to national parks. Simple.
    You can try, but people will still hunt on the savanna. Some people will even buy the animals privately, raise them on their own land and them shoot them. This is a legal trade of live wild animals. For some more perspective; a Zebra costs around £550, a lion ranges from about £9,000 to £31,000. Rhinos are a little more expensive pushing towards £150,000 to £500,000. Giraffes are about £1,350.

People in Africa own huge swathes of land privately which cannot be monitored or regulated because it is private land and they are rich.

ReputationRep:
    You can try, but people will still hunt on the savanna. Some people will even buy the animals privately, raise them on their own land and them shoot them. This is a legal trade of live wild animals. For some more perspective; a Zebra costs around £550, a lion ranges from about £9,000 to £31,000. Rhinos are a little more expensive pushing towards £150,000 to £500,000. Giraffes are about £1,350.

People in Africa own huge swathes of land privately which cannot be monitored or regulated because it is private land and they are rich.
    And they are sick, sick people.

Personally I'm all for cutting off every horn from every rhino in exiatance, selling it and ensuring all the money goes directly into conservation. Then conservation would have more money on its side than these landowners.

ReputationRep:
    Just to put it out there - no she isn't.

Only 3% of the money paid for these hunts foes to conservation and many are very genetically damaging. Conservation is an argument put in place to justify it but in reality none of these hunts are managed in a way that has any net positive effect.
    Wolf hunts in Scandinavia?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.