Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About two months ago I got really ill with flu, and subsequently lost about half a stone in a week. I was hardly a gym buff before, mainly just doing dumbbells, press ups, tricep dips etc. But due to being busy with exams after illness, I barely worked out. I've just started again now, but I'm noticeably skinnier around my arms/chest. Will it take as long as before to tone these areas?

ReputationRep:
    Ive gone through this process before and currently again now, i felt i gained strength / muscle at a faster rate through muscle memory while at maintenance calories; it could simply be genetics for me however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave454)
    About two months ago I got really ill with flu, and subsequently lost about half a stone in a week. I was hardly a gym buff before, mainly just doing dumbbells, press ups, tricep dips etc. But due to being busy with exams after illness, I barely worked out. I've just started again now, but I'm noticeably skinnier around my arms/chest. Will it take as long as before to tone these areas?
    Eat, eat, eat. Muscle memory will help you out but in order to regain the weight and size you had previously and progress your diet will have to be solid. I presume during the two months of illness you weren't eating well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben_S96)
    Eat, eat, eat. Muscle memory will help you out but in order to regain the weight and size you had previously and progress your diet will have to be solid. I presume during the two months of illness you weren't eating well...
    It was only a week I was ill, but during that time I definitely wasn't eating properly. Barely ate anything for 3 or 4 days to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    I went off the gym for 3 months or so and it only took me 2/3 weeks to get it all back. Regaining muscle does not take the same amount of time as gaining it in the first place

ReputationRep:
    depends how hard you train when your at the gym and how well you recover(eat) after. Personally i find i come back stronger and bigger when having a rest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.