Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the usual 5 year VetMed degree and also doing post grad of bioveterinary science and applying after graduating from that, are there any other ways to get into vet school? I heard something about a course at Lincoln uni which you then can move to a vet school or something, and same with Hartpury college but I don't exactly know all the details about that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You can a foundation programme if you qualify for it (I know Liverpool has such a programme, RVC also had a similar one at the time). You could also go abroad to study where the requirements may be different.

Why are you looking into alternative routes ? If you give us a bit more context we may be able to give you some more specific advise. I would say that there is not "easier" way to get in than via the traditional route of A levels etc. if that is what you are trying to find.

ReputationRep:
    Just if I was in a scenario where I missed out because of my grades. I'm predicting myself AAB, and I know it still is possible to get in with that but talking to other people, AAB acceptances don't happen too often. I was thinking more of like an extra few years of training to make up for grades. Maybe just like the foundation course you are talking about, what is that called? I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham, Surrey and maybe bristol depending if i do get AAB or more, and then my other 2 choices for a back up I'm thinking will be Pharmacology because Glasgow give automatic entry if AAB at a-level is achieved. I'm also going to mention a gap year when applying to surrey, nottingham and bristol. Do you reckon gap years increase chances of getting in if you clearly present to them a well organised plan for it?

ReputationRep:
    I thought that RVC Gateway and the Foundation courses were...recognized...by only certain universities. Given that, I would think you'd get 'more bang for your buck' from repeating A levels-if need be-and being eligible for ALL the schools, than doing one of these courses, competing with others on the course, and being eligible for only a few. Just my two cents, and I'm sure others can be more specific and/or you'll find more specific advice on previous threads, as I feel like this subject has come up quite a bit lately.

At the end of the day, vet is a highly competitive program, and it seems to me, that grades are often the 'dealbreaker'. ANYONE can attend work experience, at least in theory. Given access to public transport, a ride, whatever, it is within the capabilities of just about anyone, or should be, to show up at a farm or a clinic and participate in daily life to gain experience in the field they want to work in. (Yes, I am oversimplifying the financial side etc.) However, NOT everyone can get top grades. So, if you are in this boat, of being concerned about your grades, likely a lot of other people are, too. So, if a 'plan B' or 'back door' or whatever you want to call it exists, there are probably a lot of other people wanting it. So, assuming such a thing exists (and I'm not at all sure it does), you're still going to be competing against a lot of people, and need to stand out. In your previous thread, you had done 9 weeks of work experience, which is great but quite frankly to be competitive you probably need 15 weeks +. You were also missing some what I'd consider 'core' placements. Have you had any luck expanding on this? And what about your personal statement? Anything else that would make you stand out?

I don't personally (though I am not an admissions person) believe a gap year, in itself, improves your application.
    Put it this way. Would an intelligent, committed, mature, experienced individual that had done a gap year be valued above another candidate with equal intelligence, commitment, maturity, and experience that had managed to gain all that without a gap year? No, I personally don't believe they would.

However, would an intelligent, committed, mature, experienced individual that had taken a gap year and made the most of it to grow and to expand their experience rank higher than a less mature, experienced, and not as obviously committed person that hadn't done a gap year> Personally yes, I think they would.

Again, what are you hoping to accomplish on your gap year, and how does that relate to your application and how it might be improved? More work experience? How much more and what type? Repeating your A levels? What makes you think you'll do better this time? Etc. etc.

I'm sorry to be a killjoy, but no matter what, you will be dealing with a lot of competition and therefore very high expectations/standards if you want to be a vet. Lots of people want it, and it is a highly skilled job. That means competitive and strict selection criteria, including coursework/academic content.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.