Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know any good books thought to be essential for preparing to study a history degree at university? I'd like to read some during my last year in sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    War and peace. That is all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    War and peace. That is all.
    I think I read that back in 4th year, and although I can't remember much, I do remember the feeling of hating it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescaD96)
    I think I read that back in 4th year, and although I can't remember much, I do remember the feeling of hating it.
    Haha, that appears to be an accurate summary of my feelings also :P on a serious note, perhaps find a period of history you find interesting and go to your local library and read them, getting used to the manner the information is presented in etc, also familiarise yourself with primary sources revisionist post revisionist historians etc
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Haha, that appears to be an accurate summary of my feelings also :P on a serious note, perhaps find a period of history you find interesting and go to your local library and read them, getting used to the manner the information is presented in etc, also familiarise yourself with primary sources revisionist post revisionist historians etc
    thank you I know my favourite period of history (either Tudor or Ireland's delightful rebellions from 1798) but my local library is pretty crap on those two periods. It's such a hassle

ReputationRep:
    thank you I know my favourite period of history (either Tudor or Ireland's delightful rebellions from 1798) but my local library is pretty crap on those two periods. It's such a hassle
    Check out the used section on amazon marketplace for books. Most if the time you can pick up any book for 1P plus the cost of delivery, so I find that it is a great way of buying books to read, especially over the summer whilst I await a reading list and prepare for my university degree
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Check out the used section on amazon marketplace for books. Most if the time you can pick up any book for 1P plus the cost of delivery, so I find that it is a great way of buying books to read, especially over the summer whilst I await a reading list and prepare for my university degree
    I just ordered the "Studying History" book TSR recommend on their history page today, but I'll definitely do that!
    Where are you going to study? Is it history? (Stupid question I know.)

ReputationRep:
    I just ordered the "Studying History" book TSR recommend on their history page today, but I'll definitely do that!
    Where are you going to study? Is it history? (Stupid question I know.)
    Awesome, I hope you find it of interest and I'm going to study LLB Law but I took history at A level so am still quite interested in the subject as a lot of the skills required are similar. I'm going to the university of liverpool to study, how about yourself?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, I hope you find it of interest and I'm going to study LLB Law but I took history at A level so am still quite interested in the subject as a lot of the skills required are similar. I'm going to the university of liverpool to study, how about yourself?
    Well I'm waiting for my AS results in August, and then I'm definitely applying for history with either politics or archaeology. Definitely at York

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm waiting for my AS results in August, and then I'm definitely applying for history with either politics or archaeology. Definitely at York
    Wow York is a really nice historic city some great buildings and architecture, well done! What is the entry requirements or your course?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wow York is a really nice historic city some great buildings and architecture, well done! What is the entry requirements or your course?
    I need 3A. Luckily, I'm predicted 4A

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-History...5270064&sr=1-1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.