The Student Room Group

What experience can I do that relates to my course? (Chinese)

I'm planning on studying Law alongside Chinese studies in University (starting in September 2015). I'm currently writing my personal statement in college, my teachers have advised to gain as much experience as possible relating to our course. I've had lot's of experience relating to Law - visits to the courts, shadowing a solicitor, work experience in law firms etc.
Where can I get experience relating to Chinese studies?! It's a beginner's course so I only have to show an aptitude for the language, I don't have to have any previous knowledge (although I do have a little). I'm planning on talking about books I've read about China and what little Mandarin I already know.
Does anyone have any suggestions where I can go to gain experience relating to it? I was considering a Chinese Buddhist Centre but there isn't one close enough to where I live.
Thankyou!
Original post by ellekknight
I'm planning on studying Law alongside Chinese studies in University (starting in September 2015). I'm currently writing my personal statement in college, my teachers have advised to gain as much experience as possible relating to our course. I've had lot's of experience relating to Law - visits to the courts, shadowing a solicitor, work experience in law firms etc.
Where can I get experience relating to Chinese studies?! It's a beginner's course so I only have to show an aptitude for the language, I don't have to have any previous knowledge (although I do have a little). I'm planning on talking about books I've read about China and what little Mandarin I already know.
Does anyone have any suggestions where I can go to gain experience relating to it? I was considering a Chinese Buddhist Centre but there isn't one close enough to where I live.
Thankyou!

I wouldn't worry about the experience aspect too much. Reading books shows an interest. Other ideas could be going to museums/art galleries that have displays related to China, watching chinese dramas/films, listening to chinese music, chatting to chinese friends online to find out about life in China etc.
I don't know where you're from but if there's a Chinatown near you, visit that. Or try find out if there's any events or festivals related to China going on nearby.

I studied Japanese from scratch at uni so in my personal statement I talked about reading Wild Swans when I was 12 giving me an interest in East Asia and that developing into an interest in Japan specifically after reading books about geisha. My GCSE Art culture project was focused on Japan and my GCSE textiles project was a dress inspired by the kimono. I also read a coupla books on Japanese history.

But that was it :smile: Nothing too extensive!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending