Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this is my first tsr post. I just want to know how much work experience do you think is enough in a charity to sustain a weekend or part time retail job. What sort of things would be necessary on a CV, and what is a complete no no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamKnow)
    Okay, this is my first tsr post. I just want to know how much work experience do you think is enough in a charity to sustain a weekend or part time retail job. What sort of things would be necessary on a CV, and what is a complete no no.
    I don't think any experience in charity is necessary for a job in retail. I got my job in retail with zero retail experience and I'm still at it 3 years on when not at uni.

But on your CV you should be honest. Be clear and concise in your written communication. State your strengths and don't mention any weaknesses.

There are CV helpers on the TSR site, though - perhaps it'd be a good idea to direct some questions at them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    I don't think any experience in charity is necessary for a job in retail. I got my job in retail with zero retail experience and I'm still at it 3 years on when not at uni.

But on your CV you should be honest. Be clear and concise in your written communication. State your strengths and don't mention any weaknesses.

There are CV helpers on the TSR site, though - perhaps it'd be a good idea to direct some questions at them?
    No I meant in a charity shop, because some jobs prefer experience in retail, since I have none I thought it would be a good decision, but I am unsure as how much work experience in retail (e.g. charity shop) is desired by employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamKnow)
    No I meant in a charity shop, because some jobs prefer experience in retail, since I have none I thought it would be a good decision, but I am unsure as how much work experience in retail (e.g. charity shop) is desired by employers.
    you're asking that if you wanted to work in a charity shop, how much retail experience would you need to hold down the job, right?

ReputationRep:
    Nope if you went a part time job in retail how much work experience in retail is necessary?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.