Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Iv got my Aptitude test coming up soon and i have to be honest i'm quite worried about it, I'm now 23 but i left school when i was 15 because of family problems and have no GCSE'S, Iv got a lot of common sense and i'm far from thick but my maths is TERRIBLE. How hard is the test for a regiment gunner ? and any advice on how to pass it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warren123)
    Hi guys,

Iv got my Aptitude test coming up soon and i have to be honest i'm quite worried about it, I'm now 23 but i left school when i was 15 because of family problems and have no GCSE'S, Iv got a lot of common sense and i'm far from thick but my maths is TERRIBLE. How hard is the test for a regiment gunner ? and any advice on how to pass it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    You may be in luck there, as the Raf reg requires quite low pass score of 40 and nothing else. (My trade was 60 and also 5 each in 2 other sub divisions.)
    But to get a pass you need to brush up on pretty much everything. Maths included as it it big part of the test, see online resources on GCSEs, bush up on you maths, mechanical and electrical understanding, some physics too they will all be in the test.
    Have you tried the test sample on RAF careers website? Good indicator, but it doesn't time you, and time is instrumental, as you have very little of it during test.
    I was only halfway through verbal reasoning (first section on the test) when it ran out, after that got a bit panicky and made mistakes.
    Good luck! And don't forget that for RAF reg fitness is most important, you must be fitter than the rest of us! Can you run your 1.5 mile in 10.30?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warren123)
    Hi guys,

Thanks.
    Same advice goes to you as it would for anyone really.

Practice your mental maths. The questions aren't hard, you just need to be able to do them instantly without thinking. The time limits will present the biggest challenge, not the difficulty of the questions.

Regiment Gunner does have one of the lowest required scores but you still need to work really hard to achieve it, as does anyone sitting the test. You need to be able to work under pressure and not give up when it starts getting difficult or you start making mistakes.

In short, practice mental maths, do some basic electrical/mechanical revision (GCSE Bitesize will be good enough for what you need to know), practice skim-reading and picking out specific information from a paragraph of text. Most importantly, practice all of this with very harsh time limits. Set up a stopwatch on your phone or something and try and answer as many questions as you can in a minute or two. Keep trying to up the speed at which you work.

As said, gunner does require one of the lowest scores, and it's not solely testing your intelligence (although that is obviously a part of it). Just prepare well, and keep going even if you think it's going badly.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the test for a gunner the score you need is the lowest of them all. I will say exercise hard now for the PGSC, that was tough. Also revise well on the regiment, make sure you know everything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot everyone you'v given me the answer i was looking for, Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    These are some great responses I'm also taking the test soon however what kind of questions will come up during the interview for a gunner ??

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.