Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you get A*s at A level not knowing the course? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get A*s at A level when you don't attend classes or read course information?

For example if I were to sit a maths A level exam, could I get an A*just using the formula from the sheet? O

Is this what really clever people do?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not, you can't answer a question if you don't know the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    No.
    But my friend got an A* (100%) in his maths and physics A levels by just reading the formula. He said he worked backwards when he solved the question. He is know at Cambridge.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    He didn't. You cannot.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friendly Liberal)
    But my friend got an A* (100%) in his maths and physics A levels by just reading the formula. He said he worked backwards when he solved the question. He is know at Cambridge.
    Mate, I hold offer for medicine at Cambridge and let me tell you... I did maths and physics and no.. you cannot just rely on formulas because not all the questions rely on formulas.

The amount of BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If all you needed were the formulae given to you on the paper, everyone would get 100%. He is lying and you've been stupid enough to believe him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Mate, I hold offer for medicine at Cambridge and let me tell you... I did maths and physics and no.. you cannot just rely on formulas because not all the questions rely on formulas.

The amount of BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? I remember him saying that all the questions were like common sense to him. He has a very high IQ too like genius level, so maybe he can see the answer without working it out, like a natural mathematical instinct? Do not say this is impossible because the human brain is so complex. He could have been a savant - like the guy who can recite pi to over 100,000 decimal places from memory as well as working out square roots in his head.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I remember him saying that all the questions were like common sense to him. He has a very high IQ too like genius level, so maybe he can see the answer without working it out, like a natural mathematical instinct? Do not say this is impossible because the human brain is so complex. He could have been a savant - like the guy who can recite pi to over 100,000 decimal places from memory as well as working out square roots in his head.
    Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe he is lying to you? Who do you think is more reliable; everyone on here saying the same thing, as well as teachers and admissions tutors, or some idiot who's trying to show off to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groundearth)
    Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe he is lying to you? Who do you think is more reliable; everyone on here saying the same thing, as well as teachers and admissions tutors, or some idiot who's trying to show off to you?
    Well I didn't study Maths or Science subjects at A level, so I don't know how they work. But my mate is very clever, like Stephen Hawking clever, so maybe he did just turn up to the exam without actually revising like people do, and get 100%?

ReputationRep:
    Well I didn't study Maths or Science subjects at A level, so I don't know how they work. But my mate is very clever, like Stephen Hawking clever, so maybe he did just turn up to the exam without actually revising like people do, and get 100%?
    Mate, science is not all common sense.

Well, if he never "revised" but listened in class, then I would understand. However, you said that he never studied the material, so no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Mate, science is not all common sense.

Well, if he never "revised" but listened in class, then I would understand. However, you said that he never studied the material, so no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not to you, but maybe it is to him. When he had his IQ measured, when presented with a question, he instinctively knew the correct shape to fit the pattern without giving it more than like 2 seconds of thought. So I believe that he did the same in his A levels too.

ReputationRep:
    Not to you, but maybe it is to him. When he had his IQ measured, when presented with a question, he instinctively knew the correct shape to fit the pattern without giving it more than like 2 seconds of thought. So I believe that he did the same in his A levels too.
    Every time someone's said something contradictory to your views, you keep on repeating the same **** about your genius friend. Whilst there's nothing wrong with that in itself... why the hell did you create this thread in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Every time someone's said something contradictory to your views, you keep on repeating the same **** about your genius friend. Whilst there's nothing wrong with that in itself... why the hell did you create this thread in the first place?
    I don't believe what they say because they're probably jealous of my friend, and they will say it is impossible to get 100% in a maths A level without revising so they feel better about their limited intellect.

ReputationRep:
    How are you going to learn something which came from nowhere as you have no knowledge?
    Even if there was a genius he would need to know the theory behind it to even attempt to do something,
    It's like giving a clever 3 year old, A level work, regardless of how smart the child may be he will NOT be able to do it unless he learnt complex maths stuff,
    100% troll.

ReputationRep:
    As much of a genius Stephen Hawking is, I doubt he would've been able to get 100% purely using the formulae on the paper. People who have the capability to answer every question perfectly often make at least 1 silly mistake, so 100% is not easy.

He's lying.

ReputationRep:
    'Natural mathematical instinct'? *sigh*. As others have said, he is clearly lying to you. I too have a friend with a genius-level IQ, and neither he nor anyone else could turn up to a Maths/Physics A Level paper, having no prior knowledge of the course (or anything equivalent to that level) and get 100%. I cry for your naïvety.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If theres one subject where this is possible, its maths. Although, in the time frame of an exam, this is highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try it and let us know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.