Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want the job! What to do in the interview Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been to many interviews this year for a placement, and have been rejected left, right and centre.

But finally, I have a good chance of getting my dream job.

I have been offered an interview, but what should I do in the interview to get the job? I mean I have some experience in interviews, but I may be missing out something vital.

I want this job so bad, I don't mind paying the interviewer to hire me LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I have been to many interviews this year for a placement, and have been rejected left, right and centre.

But finally, I have a good chance of getting my dream job.

I have been offered an interview, but what should I do in the interview to get the job? I mean I have some experience in interviews, but I may be missing out something vital.

I want this job so bad, I don't mind paying the interviewer to hire me LOL
    Nothing much you can do in an interview apart from relax, be composed, and most importantly be yourself. Also, making sure that you are well-prepared for the interview will be very helpful - by this I mean researching the company, the section you'll be working in, aims, targets etc.

Apart from that, without knowing your previous interview history, nor the job that the interview is for, there's not much else to advise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    Nothing much you can do in an interview apart from relax, be composed, and most importantly be yourself. Also, making sure that you are well-prepared for the interview will be very helpful - by this I mean researching the company, the section you'll be working in, aims, targets etc.

Apart from that, without knowing your previous interview history, nor the job that the interview is for, there's not much else to advise
    Thanks.

I mean general tips for succeeding
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I mean general tips for succeeding
    Pause before rushing it to answer the questions and have a quick think about why the employer is asking this question - it will direct you to answer more directly. Take your time and don't feel rushed, make eye contact and keep smiling ie make the pretence of feeling confident and at ease, regardless of what is going on inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Pause before rushing it to answer the questions and have a quick think about why the employer is asking this question - it will direct you to answer more directly. Take your time and don't feel rushed, make eye contact and keep smiling ie make the pretence of feeling confident and at ease, regardless of what is going on inside.
    Thanks.

Also, what are pointers or indicators that I may have got the job?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Also, what are pointers or indicators that I may have got the job?
    None whatsoever. Interviewers do not make the decision in the interview. Firstly as an interviewer you are very aware that you have to give each interviewee a fair chance, so you try and behave in exactly the same way to each candidate. Some people keep a very cool, neutral and distanced image throughout, others are friendly and cheerful to everyone, but it always the same for every candidate, regardless of how they perform in the interview.

Second, until you have seen every candidate, you have no idea who is best, and interviews often turn up surprises versus the assumptions you might make about the paper application, as every experienced interviewer will know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.