?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
[I realise that many of these threads have been created before]

Is anyone doing the following?:

English Literature WJEC
French WJEC
Psychology Edexcel
Human Biology AQA

do you have any advice or tips on how to get A* in these A-Levels?
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm on WJEC French, just finished AS.
You cover about 15 general topics throughout the year (fashion, food, sports etc) and then you have a 15 minute oral exam where you answer questions on a picture card and a card with two sides of an arguement. On the day of the oral all of the cards are turned over so you only see your topic 15 minutes before so that you can plan for it (it could be any 2 of the 15 topics you studied). 7 mins is on the cards, and 7 mins is general conversation with the teacher.
The writing, listening and reading is all in one paper. 30 marks at the end for a 200-250 word eessay on a given topic (you have a choice of about 4 essay titles). Things like smoking, alcohol and drugs come up every year. Learning how to structure the essay is key. Introduction, one side of the arguement, counter arguement and then a conclusion including your opinion. So you should have about 4-5 paragraphs and it's really not that bad. A lot of people mess up because they don't follow the correct structure.
16 marks in the paper is a translation from French to good English, but this is easy I think.
So the main things to do for AS French are: learn how to structure an essay correctly, and be prepared to improvise lots in the oral exam.
rileystringer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Petulia)
I'm on WJEC French, just finished AS.
You cover about 15 general topics throughout the year (fashion, food, sports etc) and then you have a 15 minute oral exam where you answer questions on a picture card and a card with two sides of an arguement. On the day of the oral all of the cards are turned over so you only see your topic 15 minutes before so that you can plan for it (it could be any 2 of the 15 topics you studied). 7 mins is on the cards, and 7 mins is general conversation with the teacher.
The writing, listening and reading is all in one paper. 30 marks at the end for a 200-250 word eessay on a given topic (you have a choice of about 4 essay titles). Things like smoking, alcohol and drugs come up every year. Learning how to structure the essay is key. Introduction, one side of the arguement, counter arguement and then a conclusion including your opinion. So you should have about 4-5 paragraphs and it's really not that bad. A lot of people mess up because they don't follow the correct structure.
16 marks in the paper is a translation from French to good English, but this is easy I think.
So the main things to do for AS French are: learn how to structure an essay correctly, and be prepared to improvise lots in the oral exam.
thankyou vm!:kissing2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?