The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge? How was the open day?

So recently there was the Oxford and Cambridge open days. How did you find them? How did they help you make your decision - Oxford or Cambridge? What course are you looking to apply to?

I'm looking to study Economics and went to the Oxford open day yesterday and absolutely loved it. I've visited Cambridge but that was like a year ago and I'm not sure which one I like better.. I want to be at a very modern college but just didn't get a chance to see many colleges yesterday, anyone have any suggestions on which colleges I could research?

Thanks!
Original post by amyrah
So recently there was the Oxford and Cambridge open days. How did you find them? How did they help you make your decision - Oxford or Cambridge? What course are you looking to apply to?

I'm looking to study Economics and went to the Oxford open day yesterday and absolutely loved it. I've visited Cambridge but that was like a year ago and I'm not sure which one I like better.. I want to be at a very modern college but just didn't get a chance to see many colleges yesterday, anyone have any suggestions on which colleges I could research?

Thanks!

Try the Oxford and Cambridge threads on here for current students oppinions.
Original post by amyrah

Thanks!

Are you sure you want to study 50% management in at least year 1?
Reply 3
I attended both open days, 185 miles was a long and tiring distance to travel! I'm interested in Chemistry or (Chemical) Engineering. I preferred Cambridge as a city, the streets seemed much more spacious than Oxford and the density of colleges seemed lower than in Oxford. I'm assuming I have a better chance at being offered a place at Oxford than in Cambridge which is unfortunate as I would prefer to study in Cambridge.
Original post by amyrah

Thanks!

At Oxford: St. Catz is super modern (founded in 1971). St. Peter's, St. Anne's and St. Hilda's are also quite new. Generally the colleges not very central are the new, more modern ones.

Also remember that neither of Oxford's Economics courses (PPE and E&M) are straight-up Economics while Cambridge does have straight-up Economics.
Reply 5
Having met some other students, it has increased my confidence that I can get into Oxbridge university.
I hope to apply to Oxbridge when I'm 13 or 14 years of age? Do you think they will let me? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by amol_chalis447
At Oxford: St. Catz is super modern (founded in 1971). St. Peter's, St. Anne's and St. Hilda's are also quite new. Generally the colleges not very central are the new, more modern ones.

Also remember that neither of Oxford's Economics courses (PPE and E&M) are straight-up Economics while Cambridge does have straight-up Economics.

Thank you. Yeah, I heard about St. Catherine's but didn't have time to check it out :frown:

Well, I'm not even entirely sure, like, what would be better for banking? Maybe investment banking etc
Original post by amyrah
Thank you. Yeah, I heard about St. Catherine's but didn't have time to check it out :frown:

Well, I'm not even entirely sure, like, what would be better for banking? Maybe investment banking etc

I don't think I'm in a position to say one is better than the other. But in the UK the degree you do doesn't seem to matter, rather how you do in it does. So I would advise you to just go with what interests you more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending