Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking around to find a laptop that I can use for gaming that is under £1000. I found the one that I thought I wanted at PCWorld (Acer Aspire V3 772G - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...36910-pdt.html)

However I went to PCWorld and was looking at this laptop and a guy that worked there suggested that I buy this HP instead saying that it had extra features like fingerprint recognition and good audio (which I really don't care about). Here is the link to the HP - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...92783-pdt.html.

It seems to me that the Acer is the better of the two since they are the same price (£899) and it has more RAM and all other specs are more or less the same. However I am no computer expert.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this? Which one should I get and why?

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't buy a laptop at a retail store because they overcharge you. It just so happens that I've been considering getting a new laptop myself and I'm a bit of gamer too!

I'm considering a 15.6" laptop so I'd probably look at this or if you really want a 17" laptop there is this option.

See what others on here think first

Welcome to TSR :wavey:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hurricane49)
    I have been looking around to find a laptop that I can use for gaming that is under £1000. I found the one that I thought I wanted at PCWorld (Acer Aspire V3 772G - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...36910-pdt.html)

However I went to PCWorld and was looking at this laptop and a guy that worked there suggested that I buy this HP instead saying that it had extra features like fingerprint recognition and good audio (which I really don't care about). Here is the link to the HP - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...92783-pdt.html.

It seems to me that the Acer is the better of the two since they are the same price (£899) and it has more RAM and all other specs are more or less the same. However I am no computer expert.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this? Which one should I get and why?
    Well:
    With the Acer you already have 8.1 instead of 8, so don't have to bother going and downlaoding that update
    Both have more than enough RAM
    HP has a slightly better CPU, not that it will likely matter
    Both have rather mediocre GPUs, you're going to be making rather severe graphical compromises, although that's kinda expected on a laptop at that price
    HP has a better resolution
    HP is much better on the USB front, 4x 3.0 instead of 2x 3.0 and 2x 2.0
    Hp looks like it has the better audio, but I doubt they would actually be that different in reality
    HP doesn't specify the webcam specs, but they're probably at least as good as the Acer's.
    HP has a WAY better advertised battery life, although you would have to look at reviews for actual usage figures. I've actually noticed a trend that HP are pretty good on battery life (take that, apple fanboys)
    They both come with a **** ton of bloatware, at least HP doesn't have that bloody McAfee trial that everybody hates and I really wish would just go and die in a hole.
    HP is a lot lighter and about 10% thinner.

(Original post by Keoje)
    I personally wouldn't buy a laptop at a retail store because they overcharge you. It just so happens that I've been considering getting a new laptop myself and I'm a bit of gamer too!

I'm considering a 15.6" laptop so I'd probably look at this or if you really want a 17" laptop there is this option.

See what others on here think first

Welcome to TSR :wavey:
    Now let's throw these two into the mix too:
    Both have more than enough RAM, and the pages both make clear you can throw in a load more if you want (MSI will take up to 32GB vs only 16 for Gigbyte, but you will be replacing before you need over 16 anyway. Also not sure how you're supposed to get 32 anyway, I was not aware there were 16GB SO-DIMMs, so it might just be a hypothetical thing)
    They're both 1080p
    CPUs are fine, at least as good as the ones in OP
    They both have 850M GPUs, while still not great they should be much better than the 740 and 750 (however, IIRC they're still Kepler GPUs so you won't get the Maxwell power saving)
    ports look good (interesting to see that eSATA on the Gigabyte one)
    audio looks fine, still going to suffer from in built issues, but they're laptops, what do you expect?
    Gigabyte has a card reader with lots of functionality, which is nice to see these days
    MSI specifies 30Hz 720p webcam, I assume Gigabyte is the same
    4 hours on MSI is OK, but I suspect for any gaming you will want to be plugged in, I expect that's 4 hours in nice conditions.
    Gigabyte doesn't give any details on battery life, but you would want to look it up in reviews anyway

For their relative prices I would probably take the HP, for actual use, would probably be the Gigabyte.
    Gigabyte is pretty light, MSI, not really.

ReputationRep:
    I have a HP, and although it's a decent laptop, the most annoying thing is that the fan can be extremely loud, and when I'm on Skype, I'll even get asked if I'm on a plane. It's not just a build-up of dust in my laptop, as many other HP users say the same!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would also say that that price point isn't exactly a great one for performance (vs a desktol) in that for that price you could get something that would run most things max/near max settings 60fps in the desktop, but wouldn't expect anything nearly as good from the laptop, given how poor the silicon is on the graphics front. Unless it's light/casual gaming and/or you need the portability a desktop would be much better use, alternatively a higher budget.

But, if you have a strict budget and need the portability I'm not going to argue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for all the replies. I should have made this clearer but I am not a serious gamer. I would mainly want to play games like fifa on it. I thought £899 was a decent price considering the specs of those two laptops but it seems that I am wrong according to keoje. Does anyone agree that £899 is too much for those laptops?

Also, I don't care too much about battery life or audio since I will almost always have it plugged in and I have speakers.

Also, is 16GB RAM absolutely pointless even in the long run?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hurricane49)
    Thanks a lot for all the replies. I should have made this clearer but I am not a serious gamer. I would mainly want to play games like fifa on it. I thought £899 was a decent price considering the specs of those two laptops but it seems that I am wrong according to keoje. Does anyone agree that £899 is too much for those laptops?

Also, I don't care too much about battery life or audio since I will almost always have it plugged in and I have speakers.

Also, is 16GB RAM absolutely pointless even in the long run?
    By the time you need 16 you will probably have replaced it, 8 or 12 should be enough and if not it isn't at all hard to add more.
    For the likes of fifa I doubt a discrete gpu is even particularly necessary.
    A few months ago those two laptops would be a decent price, probably still aren't too bad, but the ones they suggested are still a bit better for their price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.