Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone.
    I wear an abaya which if u dont know is a full length loose fitting clothing like a maxi with sleeves i guess. I have been wearing it for probably 7 years and i also wear a hijab and i feel very limited in what i can do due to my abaya. I feel like it is quite impractical to wear one and i feel ugly in on etbh, and that i wont get a job as people will look at me weirdly. My friends dress up really nicely when we go out or meet at each others houses and i am not allowed to wear western clothing so i dont take my abaya off. I am just feeling really low atm and dont know what to do. I am applying for jobs at this current moment and feel like giving up because as soon as they see me on interview day etc. they are gonna be like :lolwut:
    im gonna get some horrible comments i bet about how i shouldnt wear it as i live in the UK blah blah...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about that. I'm pretty sure that Islamic law dictates that you should wear clothes which cover your body and don't expose your figure, in which case there are certain 'western' clothes that do this too. Most hijabis that I seen tend to wear floor-length skirts and a black one would resemble the abaya style of clothing. You could wear a top with a blazer / cardigan over the top. Perhaps you could ask your parents to reach a compromise in terms of this? It might also be worth explaining that an abaya wouldn't be appropriate dress for job interviews.

I'm really sorry I can't be more helpful but you can message me if you want to talk about anything

ReputationRep:
    You are 'not allowed to wear western clothing' says it all really. Your parents shouldn't be forgiving you to dress in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, ugly and generally down and ideally, you need to explain this to them and dress as you see fit.
    With your family it sounds like this could be difficult, in which case I guess try to gently persuade them - I guess more modest western clothing as the poster above me suggested.
    Re job interviews, just take a change of clothes with you? Or wear clothes under your abaya so you can easily take it off?

Thank you for your kind suggestions both of you. I have attempted to talk to them about it but they won't listen as they think all western clothes are forbidden so I gave up after a while. Im nearly 18 so hope tjey will be more lenient with me and Im gonna aply for a job and see how it goes. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Raf Simons and Rick Owens head to toe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for your kind suggestions both of you. I have attempted to talk to them about it but they won't listen as they think all western clothes are forbidden so I gave up after a while. Im nearly 18 so hope tjey will be more lenient with me and Im gonna aply for a job and see how it goes. Thanks again.
    Heya,

Essentially, if you're going to feel happier in western clothes then that is what is best for you. Your parents can forbid it all they like, but when you're an adult you make your own choices. I'm sure neither of your parents wants you to feel depressed, so if you clearly explain how it's affecting you mentally then it is in their interests to allow you to wear what you want. I know you've said you already tried, but if you make your feelings explicit I don't really see how they can't say no. Alternatively, if they do say no, remember that it's your choice. YOU can do what you want (within reason of course!)

Maybe you could go clothes shopping with your parents and they could help pick out items which they deem as appropriate?- more modest and conservative clothes?

I'm afraid I can't really help other than what I've just said

However, please feel free to PM me if you want any advice or anything

Goold luck!

Forgot to say- you shouldn't be discriminated on for your dress. At least, I really hope not otherwise I will lose faith in humanity! Haha

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.