Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    M264 - Forced Marriages Motion, TSR GovernmentThe House welcomes the news that "Forced Marriage" has been banned in the UK and now comes with a potential 7 year prison sentence. The House appreciate that more work needs to be done in educating children about male and female equality.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but increase the prison sentence and forget the 'educating' part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Is Matt)
    Aye, but increase the prison sentence and forget the 'educating' part.
    I sort of agree, but the educating could still be useful :/

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with this motion, naturally.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    If people are afraid of offending their "culture", if they say they must "respect" their parents, if they need to be integrated with a very extended family in order to even exist, if they are fearful of "honour" killings; - then how are these prosecutions going to be launched ?

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    If people are afraid of offending their "culture", if they say they must "respect" their parents, if they need to be integrated with a very extended family in order to even exist, if they are fearful of "honour" killings; - then how are these prosecutions going to be launched ?
    All it needs is some people to be brave enough to step forward, as has happened, and this will empower people everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Easy Aye.

This should've been done a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has it recently been banned?:eek: but, of course, aye. I know that some illegal immigrants engage in marriage to remain in the UK.

While I agree with the motion, one must take care not to offend cultures and religions where it's customary for the family, namely the parents, to choose the future spouse of their children and these couple's generally don't meet until their wedding day, I see no harm in those kinds of marriages presuming the man and woman getting married consent, if either party doesn't consent then of course, lets arrest and charge those forcing the marriage.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      While I agree with the motion, one must take care not to offend cultures and religions where it's customary for the family, namely the parents, to choose the future spouse of their children and these couple's generally don't meet until their wedding day, I see no harm in those kinds of marriages presuming the man and woman getting married consent, if either party doesn't consent then of course, lets arrest and charge those forcing the marriage.
      How can the man and woman consent if they've never met?

(Original post by O133)
        How can the man and woman consent if they've never met?
        I thought this was obvious but clearly not, they consent to their parents, or a third party that's making sure it's all kosher, that they don't mind being set up, if one party doesn't consent then we should consider the marriage null and void, even if done abroad.
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        I thought this was obvious but clearly not, they consent to their parents, or a third party that's making sure it's all kosher, that they don't mind being set up, if one party doesn't consent then we should consider the marriage null and void, even if done abroad.
        OK. I'm still not keen on that situation though.

(Original post by O133)
          OK. I'm still not keen on that situation though.
          Why not? It's most likely the only way we can respect cultures and religions where this is common practice while making sure that it's all kosher.
          • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
          Why not? It's most likely the only way we can respect cultures and religions where this is common practice while making sure that it's all kosher.
          I'm not sure a culture where bride and groom do not meet until they marry each other deserves that respect to be honest.

ReputationRep:
          Consent doesn't necessarily apply if the familial pressure is as influential as you might expect.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.