Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

What is everyone's opinion on UKIP?

Some people really like them, others think they are a joke and stupid. Im just wondering what the general thoughts on TSR are!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think UKIP have got good policies!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a contentious and broad issue. Personally I think they're the result of loads of very strong feelings in our country that none of the main parties accommodated for. UKIP is technically completely ambiguous in many fields of policy, so catches lots of votes from people who just can't find what they want in the big parties.

For this reason I think voting UKIP is a terrible waste of a vote. But I completely understand and sympathise with people who do because at the moment I'll be spoiling my ballot anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    This is quite a contentious and broad issue. Personally I think they're the result of loads of very strong feelings in our country that none of the main parties accommodated for. UKIP is technically completely ambiguous in many fields of policy, so catches lots of votes from people who just can't find what they want in the big parties.

For this reason I think voting UKIP is a terrible waste of a vote. But I completely understand and sympathise with people who do because at the moment I'll be spoiling my ballot anyway.
    For me, the bigger parties won't listen, but UKIP will!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    For me, the bigger parties won't listen, but UKIP will!

I think that's what most people seem to believe yes :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    They're backwards. I don't blame many people for supporting them; Farage is an exceptional vote-grabber, but he's ignorant and misleading, and does little once he actually has power. UKIP is almost entirely rhetoric with no substance, but unfortunately many are taken in by that.

A glorified pressure group.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they're racist but I find some of their supporters incredibly annoying and unable to take criticism. Granted this is the same with die hard labour and conservative voters but you don't tend to get as many and they rarely claim the solution to everything is to vote for their party and they don't usually think their leader is some kind of miracle worker.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not as pro-UKIP now, since Cameron is finally fighting/attempting to fight the EU establishment.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good. Another UKIP thread.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    While UKIP have their stance on immigration and the EU, they don't have much going on Britain's home problems, ie the budget and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I lost to UKIP in the local elections...the first Council meeting they attended, where there were votes for critical positions on the Council, all of them abstained. The role of councillor is to support residential views in the Chamber and deal with residential enquiries - they all failed on 50% on their duties that night.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with UKIP, and while it's all well and good for them to run around shouting about immigration, they've no long term plans; like what will they do when the EU issue/ immigration is resolved/came to a compromise? They don't know. A bit like the SDLP in Northern Ireland, who achieved their ultimate aim of peace through the Good Friday Agreement and now are struggling to retain voters because they've no clear path. If UKIP don't want that to happen, they better think fast, because that referendum on Europe in 2017 really isn't that far away.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Any UKIP supporters?

ReputationRep:
    They're a party who went into the European elections with no actual policies, relying entirely on bringing up issues such as leaving the EU- which can't even be done from within the European Parliament. Farage was on a panel aimed at altering the fisheries policy which annoys so many Eurosceptics but refused to turn up to virtually every meeting of that panel out of spite. As such he and his party don't even represent the people who vote for them let alone the general public.
    On top of this, countless Ukip members have been coming out with offensive statements and while only the bitterest of opponents would claim that these racist views represented the party as a whole the fact that Ukip are void of any actual policies outside leaving the EU and building grammar schools leads people to choose to criticise the views expressed by individual members as there is literally nothing else to discuss.
    The idea that everyone in Ukip making outrageous claims have been kicked out is also not true. The Ukip candidate for the Newark by-election had openly said he thought gay-straight conversion should be available on the NHS, a policy which if brought in could lead to serious emotional problems for thousands of people.
    So overall there's a lot about Ukip that isn't really good news. The overuse of rhetoric and the attempt to turn British politics into a one-topic field is alarming.

ReputationRep:
    Opportunistic populist party led by a demagogue.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't vote for them. While I am anti-EU and I agree (in principle) with their desire to control immigration, they have few other policies. They also deny that man made climate change is real. Any party that ignores masses of scientific evidence on a major threat to the UK is dishonest and irresponsible, neither of which will win them my vote.

They've also expressed dislike of "environmental bureaucracy" in the past, and I absolutely do not trust them on environment issues. Most environmental laws come from the EU, so I would also not like to leave the EU on UKIP's terms. UKIP would be worse on the environment than our current government, a government which has a climate change denying defender of harmful (and banned) pesticides as environment secretary.

ReputationRep:
    I feel they (UKIP) are feeding off the insecurities of the white lower middle/ working classes; they've stirred up a hysteria that blind these sects in society that are often white, relatively uneducated and poor. They don't have any sustainable polices many of which, yes, sound attractive in theory but will fail if ever put in practice in the real world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    I lost to UKIP in the local elections...the first Council meeting they attended, where there were votes for critical positions on the Council, all of them abstained. The role of councillor is to support residential views in the Chamber and deal with residential enquiries - they all failed on 50% on their duties that night.
    What do you mean by that? Were you a candidate or something?

(Original post by mrfletch)
    the fact that Ukip are void of any actual policies outside leaving the EU and building grammar schools leads people to choose to criticise the views expressed by individual members as there is literally nothing else to discuss.
    That's another issue with them. Their lack of a real manifesto means there is nothing to hold them to account with and they can do what they want. You can't really attack them on policy grounds if they don't have many policies.

Person A: "your policies are awful and would not work because..."
    UKIPer: "ACTUALLY, we don't even HAVE any policies!!!! So THERE!!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)

That's another issue with them. Their lack of a real manifesto means there is nothing to hold them to account with and they can do what they want. You can't really attack them on policy grounds if they don't have many policies.

I was a candidate, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)

I was, yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.