Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi. So I've been with my boyfriend for about 5 months now. It's just not working for me, but I think he feels we are fine and often talks about long term stuff, so I feel I should end it now if I don't feel committed. He's very clingy and a little controlling at times.Problem is, we live about an hours train journey away, so we only see each other weekly and have to organise our dates in advance. Do I make him travel to me justfor me to break up? Or do I go to him? Or just do it via text and be a cowardHis birthday is coming up, and he has an exam then a holiday coming soon too, so basically I would ruin his birthday and holiday. How unfair is this? I don't want to be selfish but at the same time I'm really not happy and just need to move on. Next time we see each other is a day after his exam, then he goes on holiday and then it's his birthday.Thanks for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    Difficult thing is there is never really a 'perfect' time to break up with someone because it's going to make them feel sad, so even if you waited for the birthday, then holiday etc something else like an important work event could come up to stop you doing it. On the positive side having this other stuff on could distract him from the break up?

Texting to break up is a no no in my opinion, so I'd say because of the distance skype could be a good way to do it (if you have a decent internet connection that won't cut out half way through!) or you could visit him to do it, making him come to visit you just to break up seems a little harsh...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.