Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone Applied For a Dud Uni To Fill up your UCAS Places? Watch

ReputationRep:
    By "Dud Uni" I mean, somewhere you had absolutely no interest in going to and didn't know anything/much about.

A friend of mine admitted that five choices were too much for her. She knew which uni she definitely wanted to go to and had another uni as a backup. However, she ended up experimenting with the other three choices by choosing one in Scotland (Edinburgh University), one outside London (Warwick University) and one in N. Ireland (Queen's, Belfast).

Interestingly, all three offered her places while her backup rejected her. She went to the Edinburgh open day for a laugh. Yet, she decided to refuse all three and go for her first choice.

So, I'm wondering if you've actually done something similar and ironically been offered a place. What was your reaction?

Maybe you considered it and ended up going there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the same, only it was a couple years ago. Only had 2 unis I actually wanted to go to but my parents would've flipped if I only applied to 2 so I bs'ed a few more uni to make it 5 on UCAS :P Got offers from all of them, even a written invitation from a department head at my lowest choice but ignored them all for where I wanted to go!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, even though I probably shouldn't have but it all worked out in the end. =D

I put down Brighton just to fill up space on my application form...
    Got accepted but wasn't really bothered...

Rather ironically, I applied to Oxford Brookes and got rejected but, I applied to Essex and got accepted (and they're higher up the leagues table...) - Didn't take the offer though.
    Unfortunately, I got rejected from my dream uni (Reading...)

ReputationRep:
    Well done for reaching the fab five Where did you end up going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I know people who did this at my college and I was like :lolwut:

Honestly, there's no point on applying to a place that you don't want to go to. Not only does it waste your time, but it also wastes the time of the people looking through your application. Plus you don't have to have all 5 choices at once. You can say apply to 3 and add the other two later provided it's before the equal consideration deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    I did the same, only it was a couple years ago. Only had 2 unis I actually wanted to go to but my parents would've flipped if I only applied to 2 so I bs'ed a few more uni to make it 5 on UCAS :P Got offers from all of them, even a written invitation from a department head at my lowest choice but ignored them all for where I wanted to go!
    Well done on reaching the fab five
    Where did you end up going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I did this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No, I only applied to 1 uni (due to me being eligible for a guaranteed offer) so I only had to pay £11. Pointless paying more money 'for the crack'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    I know people who did this at my college and I was like :lolwut:

Honestly, there's no point on applying to a place that you don't want to go to. Not only does it waste your time, but it also wastes the time of the people looking through your application. Plus you don't have to have all 5 choices at once. You can say apply to 3 and add the other two later provided it's before the equal consideration deadline.
    Yeah, true. But maybe some people want their money's worth. You're paying to send your application off so you might as well have fun with it. You get to have a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing you rejected a place/s :colone: lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    I had 4 I wanted to apply to and another that I went to the open day and then didn't really want to go. My form tutor told me very strictly not to apply for that one because if it was the only one I got an offer for I'd be expected to go if I got the grades, and would have to call them up to get them to reject me to go to clearing.
    She was also very clear with the insurance choice as well, how you should only choose an insurance you wanted to go to.
    (Okay, so it was 4 years ago, I just wanted to join the discussion)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Yep, even though I probably shouldn't have but it all worked out in the end. =D

I put down Brighton just to fill up space on my application form...
    Got accepted but wasn't really bothered...

Rather ironically, I applied to Oxford Brookes and got rejected but, I applied to Essex and got accepted (and they're higher up the leagues table...) - Didn't take the offer though.
    Unfortunately, I got rejected from my dream uni (Reading...)
    Where did you end up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Leeds Met as my last choice (in case everywhere else failed). Other than that, I got the offer from my dream Uni which is Liverpool and put LJMU as my insurance choice.
    Some people I know put down 3 choices instead of 5 because that's where they wanted to go and didn't want to waste time with research and stuff. I think a few just picked some uni's because they needed to fill it in, our tutor wanted us to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Where did you end up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surrey. =l

ReputationRep:
    Applied to Birmingham University as my fifth option: visited it and didn't like it but felt the need to finalise the entire UCAS application. Received an unconditional offer and after being rejected from Oxford in January, everything was put into an entirely new perspective. I applied for accommodation and went to an applicant visit day and I loved the taster seminar, the atmosphere, the student community and the city. Ended up firming Birmingham University and rejecting UEA, Loughborough and Warwick (which is more reputable for English Lit) so 'filler options' are definitely valuable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverneek)
    Applied to Birmingham University as my fifth option: visited it and didn't like it but felt the need to finalise the entire UCAS application. Received an unconditional offer and after being rejected from Oxford in January, everything was put into an entirely new perspective. I applied for accommodation and went to an applicant visit day and I loved the taster seminar, the atmosphere, the student community and the city. Ended up firming Birmingham University and rejecting UEA, Loughborough and Warwick (which is more reputable for English Lit) so 'filler options' are definitely valuable!
    Wow. Congrats. Good luck on results day

Was there anything you didn't like about the other unis or did you just prefer Birmingham more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Surrey. =l
    Surrey is a good university! Much higher on the rankings than Reading anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Surrey is a good university! Much higher on the rankings than Reading anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know but when I went to Reading, I had my heart set on it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know but when I went to Reading, I had my heart set on it. :rolleyes:
    When I first started looking into universities in the U.K., Reading was my favourite. Then I watched some videos on it and decided against it. Now I'm not sure. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied to two places I didn't really consider at first: York (where my best friend at the time was studying) and Sussex (because Brighton). When I came to visit Sussex (because I wanted a small holiday by the sea) I fell in love and decided I didn't want to be anywhere else. Southampton (where I had wanted to go) may be a great uni but I didn't really like the city.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my friends who applied for Oxbridge kind of had 'dud' unis in their slot.

Very good places but if they only had that uni that accepted them, they would rather take a gap year than go there

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.