Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Course Termination Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, a little about my course

I've just completed my 2nd year of Engineering at University of Leicester.

I've received my results and I passed all 5 of my exams, I also passed the Design and Management Module but I failed the Experimentation Module.

The Experimentation Module I obviously cannot retake as it was practical work done in labs during term time. On the basis of failing that module my course has been terminated.

I don't understand how passing 6 modules and failing 1 results in course termination, I have not appealed or contacted any of the staff because its closing hours but can the University actually terminate my course on basis of just failing 1 out of 7 modules?

EDIT: I read that the module is a compulsory module and a reassessment of it is impossible. I don't really see any options apart from appealing against the decision to have my course terminated. I still need to call the office on Monday and see what they say. In a worst case scenario do you think they will allow me to retake the second year?

ReputationRep:
    You need to contact your course director about this and check if there's any important documents that tell you about your course in detail. i.e. the experimentation module is a compulsory pass.

I'm surprised that they don't offer you a resit opportunity for the labs tho at your university tho. :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I went to Leicester and they are usually pretty good with this sort of thing. Call them AS SOON as you can, explain your situation and ask them what's going on and how you can sort it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to contact them as soon as their offices open, I can't believe they want to kick me out for failing this one thing

ReputationRep:
    I am sure you could add it on to year three

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have experience with similar cases or know of similar situations?

ReputationRep:
    I gave my course in education studies not because I failed a module that was the last of my worries it was because I was ill and I literally couldn't get out of my own door or bedroom without panicking I was lucky I didn't end up in the unit. (Been close though)

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    I'd like ot hear more of peoples opinions on this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.