Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    #Apologies for the length#

About 5 years ago whilst travelling southbound over Westminster Bridge on the 12 bus, a lady with two children and a pram walked out into the middle of the road in a section notorious for pedestrians walking along the Southbank. Luckily as we went over the bridge the driver who was going a great deal of speed managed to slow down significantly through breaking and swerving and only missed the lady by a few feet stopping just before she realised a bus was about to hit her. This sticks in my mind as it has to be one of the closest shaves I've ever witnessed whilst being on public transport.

On the 7th of September 2012, in the same location a 12 bus hit a pedestrian (apparently the driver claimed he threw himself in front of the bus and then ended up in the River Thames) the bridge was closed for a few hours and the front of the bus was smashed in. I never heard anything more about this story, but evidence is on Social media.

On the 4th of May 2014 an incident had occurred just after 01:50am, as I approached this area at 03:30am the area was closed off as a crime scene, with the sad thought that once again someone had lost their life. Reports followed that a woman was in a critical condition in the nearby hospital (St Thomas’s), but having seen the scene just after; you realise straight away that with almost 8 hours of road closure it’s unlikely to be good news. She sadly died later that day in hospital, although I believe any efforts was in vain.

For a few days you feel so helpless, knowing that you travel over a location where someone has lost their live so innocently. A few days later I witnessed the London Air Ambulance doctors resuscitating a male who had just been sadly knocked over by a lorry on his bike. This sadly was another fatal of which the aftermath I had witnessed. Things like this really do hit you because it could be you, it could be a friend, it could be a family member – in life you just don’t know because it could happen to anyone, at any time. In 2011 a friend’s sister was killed instantly by a London bus, she was only 12 years old with an amazing future ahead of her.

The efforts and work that emergency services put in really showed during this incident, it is a job but also you can feel the emotions inside them. After all it's human nature.

Last week I came across the name of the tragic student killed 2 months earlier, and I read her story and it saddened me that someone
    “with a bright future ahead of her, gave up her time as a volunteer as part of the university’s City Volunteering programme, who loved living in London and was enjoying her studies, worked hard but was really energetic and wanted to make the most of her time here.”
    Doesn't get the chance to finish the dream they started, and from what I’ve read London was her favourite place – it seems so awful that the city she loved also is the place she loses her life.

Maria Nekrasova, 18, was hit by the taxi as it crossed the river towards the South Bank at just before 2am on Sunday May 4. She suffered severe brain injuries and was rushed to hospital in a critical condition, but died later that day. She died as a result of severe injuries to her brain stem as a result of the collision.
    An inquest has been opened but has yet to begin with no date set. I believe she has no family here to fight her cause and because of this I believe “Accidental Death” will be the final closure to such a tragic ending. News link.

A quote from 24 hours in A&E sums this story for me.

‘I think there are days when what happens will bring tears to your eyes, you’re faced with people who are having life changing or life ending events, every day, and on some level it must make you appreciate what you’ve got, what you’re capable of doing, and so you know I think you’re mad if you don’t take the opportunities that are presented to you to enjoy life while you’ve got it, because unfortunately one day you could be crossing the road and it’ll all be over’.

On Google earth you’ll see 7 or 8 people crossing in this location. It is more convenient than the ‘actual’ crossing some 90 meters south. But there have been so many incidents/accidents in this location and nothing has been done. The bridge has poor visibility moving Southbound coming over the bridge, and if speeding across anyone on the other side has little or no time to react along with the fact that at most times of the days the bridge is a good opportunity to ‘gain time’ by public transport and or other road users. Tourists regularly cross here looking the other way, which is a common problem across hotspots in the Westminster/West End area. Although I don’t know the cause of this particular incident, I believe the above are factors that may or may not have been considered and major changes should be considered to prevent another unnecessary death.

I have previous worked in working groups, specifically those in cycling and pedestrians of which are being innocently killed on a regular basis (see list) along with Transport for London , Southwark Council and the Metropolitan Police in discussing incidents and hotspots. Incidents like the one I have mentioned above could easily have been prevented unfortunately.

So if anyone has spare time for a few hours per month, I would like to set up a working group where we can meet once or twice a month with the idea of getting our thoughts and ideas/suggestions to people higher up to reduce the fatalities involving pedestrians and cyclists. Some of you may know the above girl mentioned, most of you like me DO NOT. It all makes a difference

Once I have some people, we will meet up - engage TfL, Mayor of London, Met Police Serious Collision team to meet with us and provide a hand in this.

Reference: List of Pedestrian & Cycling fatalities.

ReputationRep:
    You do know there are already numerous, huge and well publicised campaigns around the whole idea of making cities safer for cycling and helping all parties involved (drivers, cyclists and pedestrians) work together and share the city environment safely. Why not get involved with one of those than start another separate organisation?

Like this one

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I have been part of many of them. Mainly TfL, Met Police and research agencies. I have a done a lot of work with these organisations already and continue to be invited to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConcordeBA)
    Of course, I have been part of many of them. Mainly TfL, Met Police and research agencies. I have a done a lot of work with these organisations already and continue to be invited to them.
    So why start another?

What will yours do that isn't already being done?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.