Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I completed all the work in a modular edexcel book for a maths module, lets say-Uhhh, M1- then would I, if I also had examsolutions, mymaths, maths 247 and ukmathsteachers be capable of reaching an A grade no matter what they threw at me in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    If you're asking if you could get a good grade self teaching yourself maths modules with a lot of past paper practice. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be the first to do so

Just need to manage your time effectively and make good progress and if you get stuck. Ask for help on here

ReputationRep:
    You would be pretty much well prepared. However, you'd need to also do past papers, because the textbook has a similar style in some questions, and totally different for others. You could then use examsolutions to see where you went wrong.
    Past papers will get you used to the sort of questions that come up, and should be used for practise.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Seek out past papers and other even harder questions.

ReputationRep:
    I wont be delving into more than 1 past paper of each module since I want to keep them unknown until later on in the year. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMeister)
    I wont be delving into more than 1 past paper of each module since I want to keep them unknown until later on in the year. xD
    This is the completely wrong approach. If you can not do any of those questions you need to know now. There is no point in advising you any more because you obviously know it all.

ReputationRep:
    I wont be delving into more than 1 past paper of each module since I want to keep them unknown until later on in the year.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    You won't run out of PPs (probably)
    You have PPs from 2000 -2014
    Solomon papers
    Delphic papers
    Endorsed practice papers
    Graded papers
    And all the Qs in the review section of the book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    You won't run out of PPs (probably)
    You have PPs from 2000 -2014
    Solomon papers
    Delphic papers
    Endorsed practice papers
    Graded papers
    And all the Qs in the review section of the book
    I've heard of solomon papers, but not delphis , endorsed or graded papers. Can you please explain them all and where to find them all. Plleeaase.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of solomon papers, but not dephic or graded papers. Can you please explain them and where to find them all.
    it is supposed to say delphis papers my bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Why?
    I thought that you said learning "concepts" was most important and that textbooks (and the questions therein) weren't really much use. In fact in your classes you said pupils receive 100% of everything they need to know and do. But now you are advocating doing some questions ? Really the truth is you don't want anyone saying anything in "your" thread lest your unique and special position as a "teacher" is undermined in some way. Despite being a very experienced and apparently quite talented teacher you do not yet appear to have even begun to contemplate the fundamental difference between teaching and learning because you are only interested in the former.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the Edexcel past papers for A level Maths and FP-Maths I have heard that there are also:
    Solomon papers
    Delphis papers
    Endorsed practice papers
    Graded papers

Please may somebody tell me how they are different from the normal ones and from each other? Would it be possible perhaps if somebody could share a link to each of these? Please please please reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    I thought that you said learning "concepts" was most important and that textbooks (and the questions therein) weren't really much use. In fact in your classes you said pupils receive 100% of everything they need to know and do. But now you are advocating doing some questions ? Really the truth is you don't want anyone saying anything in "your" thread lest your unique and special position as a "teacher" is undermined in some way. Despite being a very experienced and apparently quite talented teacher you do not yet appear to have even begun to contemplate the fundamental difference between teaching and learning because you are only interested in the former.
    You clearly have misunderstood a post f mine at some point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    You clearly have misunderstood a post f mine at some point
    Oh obviously. I must have done of course.

ReputationRep:
    Try international papers, those are rather difficult.

Imo, this year's edexcel M1 exam was the most difficult I've done, including the international papers.

Edexcel sell international papers on different levels, your college may have some.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.