Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Less money in final year of study problem Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just received my total amount payable to me, and I will be getting 2,000 pounds less to live off. So I basically can't afford to go back to university for my final year as I'm disabled (DSA hardly helps, thanks for the 7p printing cost...) and can't work a part time job.

I know it's normal for students to get less in their third year but it's around 200 or 300 pounds less off the total amount. I'm furious that they have cut my total by 2,000 pounds. Anyone else have this same issue?

ReputationRep:
    I had mine cut by about £1,200. I called them up and they said it was because I don't need to be supported over the summer period by student finance as I will have left the course. Makes sense I guess.

I hope you get your issues sorted, student finance can be infuriating!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really concerned, because I can't get a part time job due to my illness which they are aware of. Due to this, they have given me around 3,000 pounds a term to live off so I don't have to struggle at university with money as I can't work long hours like everyone else. They are now not even giving me 2,000 a term to live off. How can they cut it so dramatically? I understand that they are not covering the summer but I will have nearly 700 pounds less to live off a term than usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy92)
    I had mine cut by about £1,200. I called them up and they said it was because I don't need to be supported over the summer period by student finance as I will have left the course. Makes sense I guess.

Do you think it's worth giving them a call? Do you know if you can appeal to have your student finance assessed again? I've spoken to people and the biggest amount I've heard cut was 400 pounds, yet they've cut mine by 2,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarPuddle)
    Do you think it's worth giving them a call? Do you know if you can appeal to have your student finance assessed again? I've spoken to people and the biggest amount I've heard cut was 400 pounds, yet they've cut mine by 2,000.
    Yeh it's probably worth calling them.

ReputationRep:
    I just looked into it and it turns out that they are giving me the minimum loan amount, when I am entitled to the maximum amount, and they haven't given me the special support grant either which I am also entitled too. Oh, Student Finance, when will your service ever improve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy92)

You definitely shouldn't be receiving that much less. I am STILL sorting out my issues with them after 2 months, and still waiting for the information to be sent through correctly. The biggest amount you should have yours cut by is 400-500 pounds, so they've made a big mistake.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.