The Student Room Group

A-level options

Hello, I am currently transitioning from my gcses into sixth form, and still slightly bewildered on which A-levels to take. When I'm older I would like to go to university and study either journalism or fashion journalism- I have wanted to be a fashion journalist or bridal journalist for as long as I can remember.
The A-levels I'm considering are English literature, geography, psychology or business studies and Fashion.
I would love to take the fashion course,but it is a 2 year course so can't be dropped, and is a BTEC meaning I would come out with 2 A-levels and one BTEC. I'm cautious of taking up the BTEC course as I know it can be seen as a soft option and I can't work out if I would score as many UCAS points.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Additional information on my GCSE's that I took(still waiting for results):
English literature
English language
Triple science
Maths
Geography
Art
French
Business studies
Reply 1
Bump :smile:
Hi,

I think I can help you - I have just finished year 12 and I studied English Lit, Geography, Psychology & Sociology - although they are a lot of work; they are more than worth it!

Honestly, you are so much better off doing A Levels than BTECs - you will have limited time and a lot of work; but they are definitely worth it trust me!

Especially for getting into Universities!!

For journalism, English is definitely a good option - you may also want to consider Media studies; psychology is a great subject - I love it, it is A LOT of hard work though - just to warn you. A Levels are very interesting and I am sure that you will enjoy them :smile:

For any more advice you can message me anytime :smile:

Good luck with your GCSE results; I hope this has helped.

Quick Reply

Latest