Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that it can be used in the sentence:
    "...les raisons pour lesquelles" but this is the plural form, and the only time I've felt it's appropriate to use, but I'm not sure why it's used, when surely you could just write "les raisons pourquoi"
    Can anyone explain when to use laquelle/lequel/lesquelles and maybe try to give a memorable translation of what it means, and examples of different places where you'd use it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I'm aware that it can be used in the sentence:
    "...les raisons pour lesquelles" but this is the plural form, and the only time I've felt it's appropriate to use, but I'm not sure why it's used, when surely you could just write "les raisons pourquoi"
    Can anyone explain when to use laquelle/lequel/lesquelles and maybe try to give a memorable translation of what it means, and examples of different places where you'd use it?
    LEQUEL
    In relative clauses, lequel is used for specific inanimate antecedents

---------> La raison pour laquelle il est venu. (laquelle referring to the clearly defined concept of 'la raison')

(For specific animate antecedents we use 'qui' - La femme avec qui il est allé au cinéma)

QUOI
    quoi is used for neutral antecedents (ce, rien, quelque chose, grand-chose, autre chose, peu de chose) or when referring to a whole clause:

"Elle a déposé une plainte contre son agresseur, ce à quoi ce dernier ne s'attendait pas du tout."

"Il a été accusé de malversations, contre quoi il a protesté avec violence." (here 'which' refers to being accused of embezzlement)

In literary writing quoi sometimes is used where lequel is normally expected, but you don't really have to bother with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    LEQUEL
    In relative clauses, lequel is used for specific inanimate antecedents

---------> La raison pour laquelle il est venu. (laquelle referring to the clearly defined concept of 'la raison')

(For specific animate antecedents we use 'qui' - La femme avec qui il est allé au cinéma)

QUOI
    quoi is used for neutral antecedents (ce, rien, quelque chose, grand-chose, autre chose, peu de chose) or when referring to a whole clause:

"Elle a déposé une plainte contre son agresseur, ce à quoi ce dernier ne s'attendait pas du tout."

"Il a été accusé de malversations, contre quoi il a protesté avec violence." (here 'which' refers to being accused of embezzlement)

In literary writing quoi sometimes is used where lequel is normally expected, but you don't really have to bother with that.
    Thank you for clearing this up! I'm going to save this somewhere for future reference

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.