Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've finished year 11 and hoping to start my A levels in September. Although I'm stuck on what to pick, the only two I know i defiantly want to take is Art and Geography. I am then stuck between History, ICT, Travel and Tourism, and then Economics.

If anyone can give me any advice on any of these subject if you take it, it would help so much! As I want to get started on my summer projects! Thank youu!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I took Economics. Personally I enjoyed it a lot, its very interesting and you learn valuable skills, like analysis and evaluation. In the exam (AQA), for the 1st year you have multiple choice questions for the first half of the paper (which makes things a lot easier lol!). As well as a second section where you have a 5 marker (simply pick out from the data given), 12 marker (where you define two things and give an explanation) and ends with a 25 marker, which is where you assess/evaluate a given topic. In the second year (A2) the multiple choice questions are gone, and you have a section like the one in the first year (with 5 marker, 12 marker and 25 marker) and the next section gives a choice of 3 questions, with a 12 marker and a 25 marker included.
    There `s a fair amount of course content as well as diagrams, but the good thing is that the second year (A2) is pretty much a repeat of the first with a few added bits
    At the end of the day, its your choice, I`d advise you to research more on the subjects, the course content, also some college`s offer taster sessions for subjects, maybe that can help you in deciding? If you have any more questions, feel free to ask (just quote me)

PS. If you do choose Economics, Tutor2u is a great site for the subject !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mav455)
    Hi!
    I took Economics. Personally I enjoyed it a lot, its very interesting and you learn valuable skills, like analysis and evaluation. In the exam (AQA), for the 1st year you have multiple choice questions for the first half of the paper (which makes things a lot easier lol!). As well as a second section where you have a 5 marker (simply pick out from the data given), 12 marker (where you define two things and give an explanation) and ends with a 25 marker, which is where you assess/evaluate a given topic. In the second year (A2) the multiple choice questions are gone, and you have a section like the one in the first year (with 5 marker, 12 marker and 25 marker) and the next section gives a choice of 3 questions, with a 12 marker and a 25 marker included.
    There `s a fair amount of course content as well as diagrams, but the good thing is that the second year (A2) is pretty much a repeat of the first with a few added bits
    At the end of the day, its your choice, I`d advise you to research more on the subjects, the course content, also some college`s offer taster sessions for subjects, maybe that can help you in deciding? If you have any more questions, feel free to ask (just quote me)

PS. If you do choose Economics, Tutor2u is a great site for the subject !

Thank you for the quick reply, I think it sounds quite interesting also it sounds like it isn't a English essay based subject, which is not my thing! What subjects did you take a long side economics? How did you do with your grades aswell as I'm not sure whether I will find it too hard. Thanks for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillss)
    Thank you for the quick reply, I think it sounds quite interesting also it sounds like it isn't a English essay based subject, which is not my thing! What subjects did you take a long side economics? How did you do with your grades aswell as I'm not sure whether I will find it too hard. Thanks for your help!!
    I did Statistics, English Language and Philosophy alongside Economics. Got A in my first exam, C in the second (but that was only because I messed up on the 12 marker, otherwise It would have been A, But I have resat it.)

ReputationRep:
    I've finished year 11 and hoping to start my A levels in September. Although I'm stuck on what to pick, the only two I know i defiantly want to take is Art and Geography. I am then stuck between History, ICT, Travel and Tourism, and then Economics.

If anyone can give me any advice on any of these subject if you take it, it would help so much! As I want to get started on my summer projects! Thank youu!
    I wouldn't recommend ICT or Travel and Tourism. Although, this depends on what you want to do after A levels. Uni perhaps? If so, I'd suggest History as the strongest option, but you might want to do some research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EXTREMEninja)
    I wouldn't recommend ICT or Travel and Tourism. Although, this depends on what you want to do after A levels. Uni perhaps? If so, I'd suggest History as the strongest option, but you might want to do some research.
    I'm undecided on what I want to do, but I want to keep the best possible options open with. I've researched a lot about history, I'm worried my poor eassay writing skills will let me down! I'm also thinking taking ICT I will find quite boring as I don't have a big interest in it. Anyway thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I did Statistics, English Language and Philosophy alongside Economics. Got A in my first exam, C in the second (but that was only because I messed up on the 12 marker, otherwise It would have been A, But I have resat it.)
    wow you did well then! Is economics one of them subjects where you just need to learn it then it becomes easier to do?

ReputationRep:
    wow you did well then! Is economics one of them subjects where you just need to learn it then it becomes easier to do?
    Half of it is basically knowing the content (plus you get extra marks for keeping up with current affairs and including that in essays (25 mark questions), e.g. what the current inflation rate is, the GDP rate and so on. But it does encourage you to use what you`ve learnt and apply it to reality, which is a good skill employers value. For 25 mark questions, marks are capped at 13 marks if you dont evaluate. Once you get the hang of evaluation, its not too hard. Evaluation is simply including things like: is this in the short term or long term, what are the advantage and disadvantages, are they always likely to happen or are their ways to avoid the disadvantages etc.

ReputationRep:
    Half of it is basically knowing the content (plus you get extra marks for keeping up with current affairs and including that in essays (25 mark questions), e.g. what the current inflation rate is, the GDP rate and so on. But it does encourage you to use what you`ve learnt and apply it to reality, which is a good skill employers value. For 25 mark questions, marks are capped at 13 marks if you dont evaluate. Once you get the hang of evaluation, its not too hard. Evaluation is simply including things like: is this in the short term or long term, what are the advantage and disadvantages, are they always likely to happen or are their ways to avoid the disadvantages etc.
    Yeah that sounds quite good then, seems like it will help in a lot of different types of jobs. Thank you so much! Just hope I get a high enough grade in maths now so I can take it, better get on with my summer project!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice on History, Geography or Art A levels?

ReputationRep:
    I did history at A level and I loved it. However, there is SO much essay work to do, I know for my A2 (second) year the coursework was worth more % wise than the exam and there was so much individual/independent reading to do, but still really enjoyable.

If your sure you want to do art though then history might be difficult to balance. Art is definitely better as a BTEC because your solely focused on it rather than pulling your hair out over having to write in depth essays in other subjects too.

Definitely research into which A levels are best for you on what you're interested in doing at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateJ1797)
    I did history at A level and I loved it. However, there is SO much essay work to do, I know for my A2 (second) year the coursework was worth more % wise than the exam and there was so much individual/independent reading to do, but still really enjoyable.

If your sure you want to do art though then history might be difficult to balance. Art is definitely better as a BTEC because your solely focused on it rather than pulling your hair out over having to write in depth essays in other subjects too.

Definitely research into which A levels are best for you on what you're interested in doing at uni
    I enjoy both art and history so much but I am thinking I may struggle with the work load. Is the history essays a lot different the the GCSE way to write them or is it the same just different content.

They don't do a BTEC art at my school only a A Level otherwise I probably would of taken it. I am defiantly taking art, I'm just worried about whether I will struggle writing the essays in history. Hmm I'm not too sure. But thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy both art and history so much but I am thinking I may struggle with the work load. Is the history essays a lot different the the GCSE way to write them or is it the same just different content.

They don't do a BTEC art at my school only a A Level otherwise I probably would of taken it. I am defiantly taking art, I'm just worried about whether I will struggle writing the essays in history. Hmm I'm not too sure. But thank you for your help!
    I personally found history at a level a lot different to gcse but a good kind of different, especially when it came to the coursework essays. Sources are a lot more down to individual choices due to your own independent research and a lot more in depth. You definitely have to think for yourself more and not be afraid to throw ideas around. A lot of written work though so be careful not to weigh yourself down too much by choosing too many heavy subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found history at a level a lot different to gcse but a good kind of different, especially when it came to the coursework essays. Sources are a lot more down to individual choices due to your own independent research and a lot more in depth. You definitely have to think for yourself more and not be afraid to throw ideas around. A lot of written work though so be careful not to weigh yourself down too much by choosing too many heavy subjects.
    hmm ok, if you don't mind my asking what were your grades at GCSE and what other a Levels did you take? I am very undecided on history as my English skills aren't fantastic but did pass at GCSE history. However like you said I don't want to weigh myself down with too hard A levels then not get high grades, hmm!

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished History AS, it's a lot of work, a lot of essay writing but I've found it really interesting. If you have poor essay writing skills, just work hard and ask your teachers often for advice, they can help! It's mostly to do with a structure and once you have that, you're halfway there and you just need actual knowledge to write about. I could use a textbook and have all the information perfect, yet only get a D in the essay - structure is hugely important. If you want to keep best options open then I'd definitely go with history, it's a respected A-Level and the skills you learn are transferable to many other subjects.

If you think ICT is boring now, don't do it at A-Level, it'll only be worse. Travel and Tourism is possibly one of the least respected A-Levels, and if you wish to study at uni then I'd stay as far away from it as possible. If you do have your heart set on taking it, but also decide you want to study at uni, then maybe only do it AS.

Have you considered any other options? I'd highly recommend psychology, but that's just me I haven't done geography, but I have friends who have found it extremely dull.

ReputationRep:
    hmm ok, if you don't mind my asking what were your grades at GCSE and what other a Levels did you take? I am very undecided on history as my English skills aren't fantastic but did pass at GCSE history. However like you said I don't want to weigh myself down with too hard A levels then not get high grades, hmm!
    At gcse I got an A on my history paper. I weighed myself down a lot. I chose history, enlish literature, religious studies and sociology at a level. I found history really enjoyable, I think of your passionate about it it will help you a lot. I was lucky that my history tutor really went out of her way to help us, if any of us needed help with our essays she would happily see us one to one with a draft and try and help with any problems so you shouldn't let your English skills hold you back if history is what youre interested in doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseajanett)
    I've just finished History AS, it's a lot of work, a lot of essay writing but I've found it really interesting. If you have poor essay writing skills, just work hard and ask your teachers often for advice, they can help! It's mostly to do with a structure and once you have that, you're halfway there and you just need actual knowledge to write about. I could use a textbook and have all the information perfect, yet only get a D in the essay - structure is hugely important. If you want to keep best options open then I'd definitely go with history, it's a respected A-Level and the skills you learn are transferable to many other subjects.

If you think ICT is boring now, don't do it at A-Level, it'll only be worse. Travel and Tourism is possibly one of the least respected A-Levels, and if you wish to study at uni then I'd stay as far away from it as possible. If you do have your heart set on taking it, but also decide you want to study at uni, then maybe only do it AS.

Have you considered any other options? I'd highly recommend psychology, but that's just me I haven't done geography, but I have friends who have found it extremely dull.
    thank you! I'm glad that I now know its more so something you can completely keep practicing on it as throughout the summer I'm going to start practice on my writing skills. I ruled ICT out, after thinking about it I find it way to boring. Also as long as I get a high enough grade in maths I will take economics, as travel doesn't interest me at all.

I have looked at psychology but at my school they put options into blocks and psychology overlaps in the same block as Art which is rather annoying. I don't know what other options to look into yet.
    But thank you for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    At gcse I got an A on my history paper. I weighed myself down a lot. I chose history, enlish literature, religious studies and sociology at a level. I found history really enjoyable, I think of your passionate about it it will help you a lot. I was lucky that my history tutor really went out of her way to help us, if any of us needed help with our essays she would happily see us one to one with a draft and try and help with any problems so you shouldn't let your English skills hold you back if history is what youre interested in doing.
    That's good! They also sound like good A levels to take, sociology looks really good unfortunately they don't do it at my school. As I do enjoy history so much i really hope that's what is going to help me get a good grade in it as I am interested in it. Thank you so much, pretty much convinced im going to take history now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.