Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Doing some research for freelance advocacy jobs (i.e., as a solicitor's agent).

Other than LPC Law, who offers this? I've heard there are 'loads', but who they are beats me.

ReputationRep:
    You've got to find the post that links to the article in the Law Gazette (query?) about the LPC Law rep and the judge who found that this type of thing might be criminal!!!

Put me right off!

Sorry can't help you any further though...nice pic! Is that you?? You need to thread your eyebrows..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    You've got to find the post that links to the article in the Law Gazette (query?) about the LPC Law rep and the judge who found that this type of thing might be criminal!!!

Put me right off!
    Except of course for the fact that 'solicitors agents' appear in courts up and down the country every day without issue. Whilst this Judge did take issue with it, he is very much the exception. I wouldn't let that article put you off freelance advocacy in general; depending on the specific role advocacy positions can be provide extremely useful experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I read the article. Interesting, but academic.

In any case, I have no idea who offers freelance advocacy. I've found two firms, one of which is LPC Law. Apparently there's one based in Manchester beginning with 'Q'? I think... I spoke to someone the other day about it; she mentioned this particular firm, but I can't remember what exactly it was called.

So frustrating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XenosKryptik)
    Yeah, I read the article. Interesting, but academic.

In any case, I have no idea who offers freelance advocacy. I've found two firms, one of which is LPC Law. Apparently there's one based in Manchester beginning with 'Q'? I think... I spoke to someone the other day about it; she mentioned this particular firm, but I can't remember what exactly it was called.

So frustrating!
    I'm afraid I can't help with names of other companies who use freelance advocates in the same way as LPC. However, it is worth noting that in addition to freelance advocacy there are also plenty of law firms that have in house advocacy teams. Last I checked Lyons Davidson have one of the largest in house teams, whereas Defendant firms such as DWF also have in house teams. Securing an in house position is difficult, but they can provide far better experience compared to freelance positions, so it is worth searching around and seeing what you can find in that regard as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I read that article and, whilst I understand the point that the judge is making, the reality is that there are sols agents all the time in the county courts. In fact, as a pupil you'll be a bit peeved by them because they are often doing work that would have otherwise gone to you!

From friends that have gone through that, I've heard mixed things. For some it has led to pupillage - some of them have had a chance to impress against an opponent within chambers etc. Probably quite rare. Others have found it depressing, with very low pay and exhausting travel. In that respect, it's not dissimilar to life as a very junior tenant!

For what it's worth, I think it's a great starting point and certainly useful for filling the time. Lots of applicants for pupillage, certainly where I am, have it on their CV - and it gives them something to talk about!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.