Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guy told me he likes me [Both Muslim] Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I just finished school (year 13) and I'm planning on going to university next year. A couple days before my final exams a guy told me that he likes me a lot, it was surprising as we're both Muslim and I didn't think someone like him would actually tell a girl he likes. I'm from Libya and he's Pakistani, he is a very smart guy and doesn't play around with girls, I was in his Economics AS lesson and he's very funny but keeps his distance from girls, I know that he's very serious and I like the person he is. I don't feel the same towards him as he does towards me and I don't want to lead him on. We're both going to university in London (I'm going to Brunel and he's going to Kings (if we get the grades obviously)).

I told him to give me some time to think and I seriously feel no attraction towards him but I feel that I might once I get to properly know him, we never really talked before and if we did it was chit chat. What should I do? I know he isn't someone that just wants sex, he himself told me that his intentions are pure.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel no attraction, save both of yourselves from haram and tell him it's a no. Actually do that anyway. Unless he's asking to be engaged with you, which I doubt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatima15)
    So I just finished school (year 13) and I'm planning on going to university next year. A couple days before my final exams a guy told me that he likes me a lot, it was surprising as we're both Muslim and I didn't think someone like him would actually tell a girl he likes. I'm from Libya and he's Pakistani, he is a very smart guy and doesn't play around with girls, I was in his Economics AS lesson and he's very funny but keeps his distance from girls, I know that he's very serious and I like the person he is. I don't feel the same towards him as he does towards me and I don't want to lead him on. We're both going to university in London (I'm going to Brunel and he's going to Kings (if we get the grades obviously)).

I told him to give me some time to think and I seriously feel no attraction towards him but I feel that I might once I get to properly know him, we never really talked before and if we did it was chit chat. What should I do? I know he isn't someone that just wants sex, he himself told me that his intentions are pure.

If he's serious, he'll ask for your wali's number and it'll go from there.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    he himself told me that his intentions are pure.
    Oldest trick in the book.

(Original post by Enoxial)
    I'm in a slightly similar situation(although done through TSR lol...), not all of us are looking to use and abuse girls...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in a slightly similar situation(although done through TSR lol...), not all of us are looking to use and abuse girls...
    I never said his intentions are to use and abuse the girl.

All I'm saying is it all starts with a little sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reform)
    I want to be realistic here, I know that in Islam its prohibited for me to talk to him alone but in this society that is extremely hard to do, I want to get to know the person myself without any of the touchy touchy business and then when I feel that the person is right for me I'll get parents involved. No point for him to talk to my parents, since we're both 18 my parents will say no, no matter what type of person he is.
    I've known of him since secondary school started and he has never flirted with a girl/chatted with a girl for the sake of it. If I wasn't sure of that I would have said no when he spoke to me.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I want to be realistic here, I know that in Islam its prohibited for me to talk to him alone but in this society that is extremely hard to do, I want to get to know the person myself without any of the touchy touchy business and then when I feel that the person is right for me I'll get parents involved. No point for him to talk to my parents, since we're both 18 my parents will say no, no matter what type of person he is.

I've known of him since secondary school started and he has never flirted with a girl/chatted with a girl for the sake of it. If I wasn't sure of that I would have said no when he spoke to me.
    Your replies to me and Reform contradict.

You say you want to know the person before you get parents involved but then you say you know him since Secondary School, surely you should have reasonable knowledge about the person in question.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Tpos. If you don't want to get engaged and married any time soon, just forget him. He seems like someone that will ask for your wali's number very soon. And as you said your parents will disagree so whats the point?

I never said his intentions are to use and abuse the girl.

All I'm saying is it all starts with a little sin.
    Can't disagree with that, fair point.

ReputationRep:
    Your replies to me and Reform contradict.

You say you want to know the person before you get parents involved but then you say you know him since Secondary School, surely you should have reasonable knowledge about the person in question.
    I've known of him, he doesn't talk to a lot of girls and I don't talk to a lot of boys so I see him in school etc. I do have reasonable knowledge, that's why I didn't say no from the start, however, I don't know him personally and I don't know whether I should try and get to know him or not. If I feel nothing for him right now, how long would it take me to conclude whether I like him or not? I don't want to lead him on though because he likes me a lot and I don't want him to think that I feel exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    I agree with Tpos. If you don't want to get engaged and married any time soon, just forget him. He seems like someone that will ask for your wali's number very soon. And as you said your parents will disagree so whats the point?
    I want to get married after university, but I'd like to know the guy for a bit beforehand, I don't want to jump into something I have no clue about. That's why I'm thinking about telling the guy if we should just like talk to each other for a while and see if we click and if end up liking him back but with him knowing that I'm not promising anything and I just want to see what kind of person he actually is.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've known of him, he doesn't talk to a lot of girls and I don't talk to a lot of boys so I see him in school etc. I do have reasonable knowledge, that's why I didn't say no from the start, however, I don't know him personally and I don't know whether I should try and get to know him or not. If I feel nothing for him right now, how long would it take me to conclude whether I like him or not? I don't want to lead him on though because he likes me a lot and I don't want him to think that I feel exactly the same.
    With all due respect, the plan may seem full proof but it seldom is.

I would list some real life implications but these would be termed 'baseless'
    Just consider this, how many first time relationships actually convert to marriage (let alone be sustainable marriages)

I want to get married after university, but I'd like to know the guy for a bit beforehand, I don't want to jump into something I have no clue about.
    Isn't that what Engagements are about?

If your marriage is arranged you'll know plenty about that guy beforehand than you do about this current guy.

ReputationRep:
    Never understood the logic that a first time relationship wont lead to marriage, therefore not worth bothering.
    You need to have a first relationship at some point xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but what is a person's wali number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're not interested in this guy then surely it's best to just ignore it? Plus, you're both going to different universities and it's very likely you'll both meet other people and forget about each other as you aren't at school together anymore.

(Original post by Musie Suzie)
    Sorry, but what is a person's wali number?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The number of their guardian, could be a dad/brother/imam etc
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swag hatter)
    Never understood the logic that a first time relationship wont lead to marriage, therefore not worth bothering.
    You need to have a first relationship at some point xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why deal with the hassles of multiple relationships when she can have a safe arranged marriage?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    LMFAO :rofl:

"Guurl, I'm not lyke dem ovver boiis."

I want to get married after university, but I'd like to know the guy for a bit beforehand, I don't want to jump into something I have no clue about. That's why I'm thinking about telling the guy if we should just like talk to each other for a while and see if we click and if end up liking him back but with him knowing that I'm not promising anything and I just want to see what kind of person he actually is.
    This is all good. Talk and see if you have stuff in common. Keep it halal though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reform)
    Your posts always make me laugh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.