Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I suffer with depression and anxiety on ESA. Questions about support from DSA and.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am currently on ESA in WRAG group as I suffer from depression and anxiety. The course I will be doing is the undergraduate education degree with QTS. I have emailed the admissions team and they state it will be about 16 hours per week. I have been doing the Access to Higher Education course and have been able to still get ESA, will this be the case when i go to uni?

Also, what sort of support can be provided from DSA? I do suffer from dyslexia so have already applied but I haven't provided enough detail for the mental health part of it. I just stated I suffer from it but never provided proof (silly, i know). Basically can they offer support for depression and anxiety? and what sort of help can I get for being dyslexic?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You'd only get ESA if you receive DLA / PIP.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for letting me know, OU student. Do you know on the sort of support I could get with the depression/ anxiety and dyslexia, from DSA?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi CircleDuck,

If you study part-time (and the course is recognized as part-time by registry) then you can still get ESA, if a course tutor says it will be about 16 hours but it is recognized as a full-time course then things might be a bit more tricky to prove to the DWP.

If you study full-time then you need PIP to claim ESA (PIP takes forever to be awarded).

As for DSA- you can claim it for anxiety and depression- you can supply evidence from your psychiatrist/psychologist/GP of your conditions, then the disability office will arrange a needs assessment for you. You might also wish to provide post-16 evidence of your dyslexia.

I received DSA support for my obsessive compulsive disorder and depression.

You are likely to be entitled to extra help such as:

- Mentoring/study support- someone who you meet with once a week to talk about your studies
    - A small allowance for ink/paper/books - if you feel the need to print lecture slides more than average due to poor concentration/anxiety
    - Possibly a laptop
    - Probably software that enables you to organize your notes
    - Probably a recording device to record lectures

Hope this helps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by circleduck)
    Hello everyone,

I am currently on ESA in WRAG group as I suffer from depression and anxiety. The course I will be doing is the undergraduate education degree with QTS. I have emailed the admissions team and they state it will be about 16 hours per week. I have been doing the Access to Higher Education course and have been able to still get ESA, will this be the case when i go to uni?

Also, what sort of support can be provided from DSA? I do suffer from dyslexia so have already applied but I haven't provided enough detail for the mental health part of it. I just stated I suffer from it but never provided proof (silly, i know). Basically can they offer support for depression and anxiety? and what sort of help can I get for being dyslexic?

Thanks
    I'm roughly in the same boat as you. I'm doing my degree with Open Uni and I have panic disorder and agoraphobia and was told by them to apply for DSA. I have medical letters and proof of benefits to send away etc, I just don't know exactly what DSA is, well mainly I don't know what it could do for me if that makes sense?

I also have no idea about the needs assessment. Do I have to go for an interview or do they come out to you?

Sorry I haven't helped you with any of your queries but I just thought I would let you know I'm roughly in the same boat as you and I shall stalk your thread for more info on DSA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.