The Student Room Group

LNAT

Hey guys I am preparing for LNAT and was wondering if there were any books you would recommend? The books I have found so far tend to have reviews that are some what worrying.
Original post by joshliving1993
Hey guys I am preparing for LNAT and was wondering if there were any books you would recommend? The books I have found so far tend to have reviews that are some what worrying.

There have been several posts that suggest you can't prepare for the LNAT, this is not strictly true. If you have not already done so you need to develop an obsessive interest in current affairs, moral and ethical issues. Read a quality daily paper and watch news programmes. read as widely as you can - I don't think there are any specific books but the more you read the more it will enhance what you already know. Develop a questioning attitude to what you read. You can get sample LNAT questions on line but my son found 'Mastering the LNAT' by Mark Shepherd useful - it gives answers to questions and ideas as to the information required for essays. Good luck :smile:
I did my LNAT last year, and those who say that you can't really prepare for it, I do not agree with. I practised using the tests provided on the website and got very good marks, but didn't bother to buy any books such as the one the above poster recommended for his son and my actual LNAT score was dismal haha. In hindsight, I definitely would have purchased the book.

When it came to the essay section, luckily all my A Level subjects were essay-based and I am quite apt at essays in general, likewise keeping up-to-date with current affairs wasn't much of an issue.

In short, I would advise you to buy the book, because from what I've heard, it provides many essay titles for you to do and I believe multiple-choice questions? (Someone correct me if I am wrong), as well as general advice.
Keep up-to-date with the news, read the quality newspapers too.
Also, have a firm stance on particular moral/ethical topics, which make it easier to shape a response to. I remember my LNAT essay question, (Should university education be free?), I felt at ease when it came to answering it because I 100% knew my stance.
They provide you with a whiteboard for the planning of the essay btw, so don't worry too much.

I wish you all the best with your preparations!
Reply 3
Buy the book suggested above, I booked my test one week in advance, read this book and practiced the tests and came out of it with a 31. You can prepare and I would say get the book by mark shephard. Do all the preparation you can, the test is fairly easy but you want to be above average in your score if you want to stand out.
Reply 4
You can't study for the LNAT as it's an aptitude test, but you can definitely prepare yourself for it. I'd advise you to download the online practice from Pearson VUE to familiarise yourself with the format of the test as well as the layout of the screen (learn to make good use of the 'flag to review' function!).

Due to some complicated reasons I took the LNAT twice, once in 2013 and the other time this year and got 30 and 33. The first time round I prepared by going to the bookstore and flipping through some of the LNAT prep books, but honestly don't think they helped.

IMHO it's much more important that you keep calm and think logically during the paper, arrive on time, get a good night's rest the night before etc than doing the practice papers. Also, try not to be too ambitious during the essay as the time limit means that it'll be difficult to craft a masterpiece, especially with the nerves as you first start out.

Original post by micksocurly
Also, have a firm stance on particular moral/ethical topics, which make it easier to shape a response to. I remember my LNAT essay question, (Should university education be free?), I felt at ease when it came to answering it because I 100% knew my stance.
They provide you with a whiteboard for the planning of the essay btw, so don't worry too much.

I wish you all the best with your preparations!

I chose that question too, partially because I'd studied about the topic in economics but mostly because I wanted to use the line, "Knowledge is priceless, but a university education comes with a hefty price tag." (can't remember my exact words)

All said, good luck for your preparations and don't stress!:tongue:
Original post by theresa17
I chose that question too, partially because I'd studied about the topic in economics but mostly because I wanted to use the line, "Knowledge is priceless, but a university education comes with a hefty price tag." (can't remember my exact words)

All said, good luck for your preparations and don't stress!:tongue:

It was really a dream question! We followed the same line of argument :tongue:
I don't think there is any point studying for or prepping for the LNAT test.

It is (poorly) designed to test an applicants natural ability for problem solving and so studying/prepping are pretty impossible.

Maybe do some of that brain training game they used to have for Nintendo DS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending