Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So what happens if I don't have enougn money to pay U.S medical expenses? watch

ReputationRep:
    My insurance have requested to see my medical records from my GP in order to see if what I had when I was abroad was due to any existing issues.

I'm concerned because I was in the U.S and I had bad stomach ache, nausea and dizziness, so I went to the E.R (it wasn't an emergency by any means but I didn't know where else to go) in order to get a note that I could use for my travel insurance. They diagnosed me with a UTI and a 'stress reaction'. I wasn't stressed but the thing is I have anxiety so I'm worried that when the insurance see my medical records they will refuse to pay my expenses because of my anxiety history linking with stress. It has annoyed me that the hospital diagnosed me with stress, because stomach ache and dizziness, etc, can be caused by loads of things apart from stress so I don't see why that should stop my expenses being paid.

Anyway, in the likely event that they won't pay, after googling how much a blood test in the E.R would cost in the U.S (that's all I had done), it is unlikely I will have the money to pay for these expenses myself. What happens about this? I haven't found out how much my expenses were yet, I will find out next week, but Google has suggested anything from $1000-10,000, and I have no idea. I don't have any money left after already losing like £4000 from coming home early due to illness, and now I feel sick with worry over not being able to afford these medical bills.

Can anyone give me any advice here?

Did you declare that you already had anxiety? If not you may be liable.

Also why are you annoyed that they did their job and diagnosed you, that's a ridiculous statement to make, especially as if they didn't and it turned out to be something worse and still related to stress, they'd be open to lawsuit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Did you declare that you already had anxiety? If not you may be liable.

Also why are you annoyed that they did their job and diagnosed you, that's a ridiculous statement to make, especially as if they didn't and it turned out to be something worse and still related to stress, they'd be open to lawsuit.
    I didn't declare the anxiety because even though I've seen the doctor over anxiety like symptoms, they've never diagnosed me with it so I can't properly say 'I have anxiety'.

I just mean I don't see why stress was the diagnosis because my symptoms could have just been from a stomach bug so I don't see where they got stress from and it just makes the whole thing a lot harder with the insurance.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay the money myself, but the main thing I'm worried about is that I don't have the means to pay for it, so I don't know what that means in terms of what they'll do. I mean, I'm not in the position to be earning money for at least another year yet so is delaying the payment something they'd do? I just know nothing about paying medical expenses and don't even know how much it will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.