The Student Room Group

Buying a tablet for uni?

I'm studying English with Egyptology, and was wondering whether it would be worth while to buy a tablet such as a kindle or iPad rather than carrying books with me? Ideas are appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by mallow300
I'm studying English with Egyptology, and was wondering whether it would be worth while to buy a tablet such as a kindle or iPad rather than carrying books with me? Ideas are appreciated :smile:

I'm not really much of a gadget expert, but isn't a kindle an e-book reader rather than a tablet computer (with the added disadvantage that it doesn't work for all file formats, so basicallyf you buy one you're forever shackled to amazon)?:confused:

Anyway, in terms of practicality, I wouldn't really say it's necessary to get a gadget for reading books electronically for your degree. You probably won't be carrying that many books around with you on a day-to-day basis anyway, unless you happen to be returning from the library or something. Using an e-book reader might make sense for things like primary texts for English, but the secondary texts you'll be working with may not have been digitised at all - and even if they have been, it would seem a bit counterintuitive to buy the digital versions if you can easily access library copies for free.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depending on your budget, a kindle is a good choice and you can find a lot of free e books on the internet, not just ones from Amazon.

But an iPad on the other hand is a kindle with added functions, such as the internet(good for googleing stuff), camera(recording lectures), and other cool apps to keep you entertained.

I think if you want something that will replace your books, then a Kindle is perfectly fine, an iPad is just surplus to requirements with it a high price tag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A kindle would be a lot cheaper.

But an iPad means you can download the kindle app and read all of the kindle books, as well as many other things (such as you can handwrite notes on it, calendar, emails, internet, games, etc.)
Reply 4
thanks for all your help :smile:
Original post by mallow300

Nexus 7

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The Samsung Galaxy Note tablet would be ideal since you can actually makes notes as well on it and it's not like the weird finger writing on other devices (because there is an S-pen). It does that plus everything a kindle and ipad could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest