Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for Computer Science at Bristol, Southampton, Birmingham, Manchester and UCL. I have started to draft my personal statement and I was wondering what I could do to bulk it up and make it more appealing to the University Admission offices. What could I do to make myself stand out and make my application appealing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjunlotay)
    I am applying for Computer Science at Bristol, Southampton, Birmingham, Manchester and UCL. I have started to draft my personal statement and I was wondering what I could do to bulk it up and make it more appealing to the University Admission offices. What could I do to make myself stand out and make my application appealing?
    i also want to do computer science. I would recommend going a few of the following (if you haven't already) : reading related books/wider reading, going to a lecture/talk, learning a programming language, work experience...there's quite a few things

ReputationRep:
    Nobody really cares about work experience at this stage since nothing of what you'd be doing would really be relevant to your degree in 9/10 cases. Programming (stuff like Project Euler and other online challenges) is good, maths challenge/physics olympiad etc are great, and reading around the course is great.

ReputationRep:
    What would you recommend programming wise and which languages would be beneficial to learn?

ReputationRep:
    What would you recommend programming wise and which languages would be beneficial to learn?
    Whichever you have the most interest in. Want a general lighthearted introduction? Python. Slightly tougher start? Java. Want to be a games programmer? C/C++. Want to go crazy with web stuff? JavaScript or PHP. Apple fan? Objective-C (for now ) Just want to be difficult? Ruby. Want everyone around you to be confused by all the code you've ever written and will ever write again? Perl.

Any and all of them would be useful in their own ways. It's like European languages - once you know one, the others aren't as hard. Once you know two it's even easier. In this analogy, Latin would probably be C.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Try something quirky and learn Erlang.. Or Prolog!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.