Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got only 2.2 in law finals, no chance of training contract, depression and drug abuse Watch

This has crushed me. I have been doing nothing but studying. 1 mark off 2.1 (uni rounds up the marks but it didn't help). I feel like drowning in addiction now. Can I have my exams remarked if I pay?

ReputationRep:
    You always have the choice of doing another degree through distance learning or something

Thank you for suggestion but I doubt I will get another loan.. Plus now I will have to pay some of the LPC fees because it's too late to just resign...

ReputationRep:
    But on a serious note you can get a tc you will need to compensate for your poor grade, either through work experience, showing your dedication and becoming commercially aware

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely to get past the filters of the big city firms and magic circle firms though, I reccomend a high street practice

ReputationRep:
    OP. try and get a master's degree in a related subject area to bolster your credentials. It may not pay off in the short term, but a master's degree brings substantial gravitas to a CV. That and some part time work experience in law firm -- try an entry level secretary role -- may help mitigate the 2:2

ReputationRep:
    This. It's not the end of the world. Either do further study or pick a different career. It's happened to thousands before you and they managed to deal with it.

(Original post by NightOwl1985)
    I hope you can't get them remarked if you pay!
    This too. Would be deeply unfair if you could.

I think you are have all misunderstood what I meant. When I asked if its possible pay a fee to have it remarked, I didn't mean for them to just give me a better grade, but to have other two academics mark my work again, perhaps they would find that one missing mark somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you are not an effective studier. Students who get the best grades are usually the ones who know what to study, how much to study when to study and when to take a break. The most prodigious and hard-working students are the ones who do less well than students who are good at striking a balance between work and play. Sorry to hear you got such a poor grade. Poor grades and long hours affect most severely the hard-working, prodigious student. You should have done some planning, bought some books that you can dip into to guide your studies. There are some really good ones on Amazon on writing essays and dissertations, studying for exams and revising. I have a relative who got a 2:2 for his law degree and is now on the Countrywide Graduate scheme. He was disappointed with his grade but now has a job.

ReputationRep:
    Ask your tutor if your exams can be remarked... There's no point of asking that here.

Don't give up! Try to learn from your mistakes. As the poster above me said, their relative was still able to get into a graduate scheme with a 2:2.

Good luck

Thanks for all the advice.. Won't be going to the graduation ceremony though, that would just kill me, can't get over this at all.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the end of the world. You still passed and you now have a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know this might not get through to you right now because you're so down about your grade but it really is not the end of the world and certainly not worth getting you down so much to cause depression/drug abuse. People have ups and downs in life - it's what makes us human. Nothing ever goes perfectly to plan - people's career routes aren't always as straight forward as they imagined but if you are determined and focused enough you can get there in the end OR you may even find something else that interests you along the way - something you may never have even considered without this scenario. Don't see it as a setback - it's just a different route to where ever you're going.

This helped me out when my career seemed to be stalling:

''When it's obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.''

You can still get to wherever you want to go - it's just going to be along a diversion - that's nothing to get down about, that's just life.

You need routine and structure in your life - if you have that already great, if you don't - create it. You need to set aside an hour or 2 each day where you can assess your options - so that you can plan how you are going to get where you want. Stop thinking about the bigger picture, it will just cause you anxiety - start SMALL e.g. research Law Grads with a 2.2 who are now practicing - find out how they got there. Research TC's, research post grad, research work experience etc.
    Be proactive, be positive, be relentless if you are determined that this is what you want. It's YOUR life and no one can push you towards your goals - you have to get out there and find a way to pursue your chosen career even when the odds seem against you. It's not impossible you just have to take it a step at a time, as with anything, otherwise the task will overwhelm you if you keep thinking about the bigger picture.

If you can get a re-mark - do it.
    • Welcome Squad

Can you not resit the final exam? Or resit the year if you have depression?

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Hi, I know this might not get through to you right now because you're so down about your grade but it really is not the end of the world and certainly not worth getting you down so much to cause depression/drug abuse. People have ups and downs in life - it's what makes us human. Nothing ever goes perfectly to plan - people's career routes aren't always as straight forward as they imagined but if you are determined and focused enough you can get there in the end OR you may even find something else that interests you along the way - something you may never have even considered without this scenario. Don't see it as a setback - it's just a different route to where ever you're going.

This helped me out when my career seemed to be stalling:

''When it's obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.''

You can still get to wherever you want to go - it's just going to be along a diversion - that's nothing to get down about, that's just life.

You need routine and structure in your life - if you have that already great, if you don't - create it. You need to set aside an hour or 2 each day where you can assess your options - so that you can plan how you are going to get where you want. Stop thinking about the bigger picture, it will just cause you anxiety - start SMALL e.g. research Law Grads with a 2.2 who are now practicing - find out how they got there. Research TC's, research post grad, research work experience etc.
    Be proactive, be positive, be relentless if you are determined that this is what you want. It's YOUR life and no one can push you towards your goals - you have to get out there and find a way to pursue your chosen career even when the odds seem against you. It's not impossible you just have to take it a step at a time, as with anything, otherwise the task will overwhelm you if you keep thinking about the bigger picture.

If you can get a re-mark - do it.
    Thank you.. That made me feel a bit better.

(Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Can you not resit the final exam? Or resit the year if you have depression?
    Maybe they would let me if I had evidence from psychiatrists etc. But I never went to any, just did self-medication because I was too ashamed. And anyway, my family discouraged me because they kept saying that I'm just lazy, every single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This has crushed me. I have been doing nothing but studying. 1 mark off 2.1 (uni rounds up the marks but it didn't help). I feel like drowning in addiction now. Can I have my exams remarked if I pay?
    If anything, addiction is only a temporary solution to dealing with your feelings. I know it's terrible to feel down and sad, but at least you could understand yourself and learn how to make yourself happy.

Addiction will just distract you from dealing with your feelings and problems, and will come back to bite you later.
    It's alright to feel bad bro, and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.