Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, basically, I've somehow managed to score an offer from Durham of A*AA for a MEng Computer Science course, I think I have probably reached this offer, but my problem is that I have absolutely no real in-depth experience at programming, apart from very mild stuff mentioned in my personal statement. How would I go about "catching up", and getting to the standard that my fellow offer holders are in terms of programming knowledge etc. ?
    If someone could give me a very specific and detailed plan of what I should do from now till 1st October to do this, I'd love them forever c:
    THANKS <3

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem as you so I looked into the course content and emailed the university. They basically said that the 1st year is taught specifically for beginners, so no real knowledge of the subject is needed. But they did say that if I was that worried about having to play catch-up next year that I could get some books from the library on CS and maybe teach myself some of the basics of programming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeeranB)
    Sooo, basically, I've somehow managed to score an offer from Durham of A*AA for a MEng Computer Science course, I think I have probably reached this offer, but my problem is that I have absolutely no real in-depth experience at programming, apart from very mild stuff mentioned in my personal statement. How would I go about "catching up", and getting to the standard that my fellow offer holders are in terms of programming knowledge etc. ?
    If someone could give me a very specific and detailed plan of what I should do from now till 1st October to do this, I'd love them forever c:
    THANKS <3
    There will be some people who have never programmed, but they will be the minority. If you want to get to grips with the simpler aspects of programming (without worrying about complex syntax, since you probably don't know which language you'll be starting at uni yet) then learn Python on Codecademy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.