Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to prepare for a break up? Watch

How can you prepare yourself for a break up?

I'm so attached to my girlfriend and my life and decisions revolves around this girl. But I know she's not right for me in many levels - she's amazing, but I know she'll never be who I want/need in the long run.

I want to break up with her, but I'm scared of going crazy after the break up.

How can I prepare myself for this? What should I do? It'll hurt so bad, but this has to be done.

Any tips, please share. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Do it in person, in private and at her place. Don't have sex with her, don't make promises you can't keep and don't lead her on about the future.

She should be able to ask you whatever she needs to know but it should be the only time. The 'best' break-ups are quick, clean breaks and you will save both of you a lot of trouble by aiming for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks but that's just the break up. I'm worried about the constant regrets I may have after the breakup. I'm also worried that I may not find the the person I'm after. Most of us, i know I won't be able to forget about her for a long time, and that will hurt like hell. How can prepare myself for all of this?

(Original post by Midlander)
    Do it in person, in private and at her place. Don't have sex with her, don't make promises you can't keep and don't lead her on about the future.

She should be able to ask you whatever she needs to know but it should be the only time. The 'best' break-ups are quick, clean breaks and you will save both of you a lot of trouble by aiming for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks but that's just the break up. I'm worried about the constant regrets I may have after the breakup. I'm also worried that I may not find the the person I'm after. Most of us, i know I won't be able to forget about her for a long time, and that will hurt like hell. How can prepare myself for all of this?
    I think your OP would be a useful reminder when you're finding things tough. You will feel a bit of a relief immediately afterwards but the months that follow are very much up and down but really time is the ultimate healer.

Everybody, whether they initiate the break-up or are on the end of it, worries about not meeting someone else. All I can say is that it gets better one day at a time and eventually you become comfortable with yourself, and that's when things tend to go best. It's a bumpy journey but we all get there in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not gonna lie, I don't think there is really any 'preparing' yourself. At least in your case you know that it's going to happen, I think that's about as much preparation as you'll get.

It will hurt and I've found that it takes quite a while to stop thinking about them, but what's more important is that you're not in a relationship where you're not happy. Yes it'll hurt at first, but if it's better for you than staying with the person, then it's just something you deal with.
    It'll take time and I think it's just important to remind yourself of that and distract yourself the best you can in the meantime

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.